The Student Room Group

Cambridge and Autumn Resits

Hiya,

Just wondering how Cambridge view autumn resits?? I was looking at applying for HSPS but achieved A*AB in my centre assessed grades. The A was in sociology which I am hoping to retake as I got 90% in my mocks, and I am hoping to retake my environmental science to get an A as well. I also qualify for the new foundation year program due to quite extreme extenuating circumstances - do you think it’s worth just applying to the foundation year or applying to HSPS as well? I have a feeling the foundation year is going to be very competitive as it only has 50 places so just wondering what my best option will be, as if I apply for normal entry then I will have to put my CAGs on in october which other unis will see as well, as opposed to putting my retake grades on in december.

Original post by Lashby537
Hiya,

Just wondering how Cambridge view autumn resits?? I was looking at applying for HSPS but achieved A*AB in my centre assessed grades. The A was in sociology which I am hoping to retake as I got 90% in my mocks, and I am hoping to retake my environmental science to get an A as well. I also qualify for the new foundation year program due to quite extreme extenuating circumstances - do you think it’s worth just applying to the foundation year or applying to HSPS as well? I have a feeling the foundation year is going to be very competitive as it only has 50 places so just wondering what my best option will be, as if I apply for normal entry then I will have to put my CAGs on in october which other unis will see as well, as opposed to putting my retake grades on in december.

I don't think they consider them resits as they are the first time you've sat the exam. @Peterhouse Admissions is the expert though.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
I don't think they consider them resits as they are the first time you've sat the exam. @Peterhouse Admissions is the expert though.

Thank you :smile: i’m not sure whether to retake my sociology as i’m planning on focusing on my environmental science, I know you carry the best one forward but it must impact the uni decision somehow!! I’m planning on emailing Cambridge as well as my college Oxbridge advisor to see what I should do.
Original post by threeportdrift

We didn't consider the autumn exams resits last year and I would expect that to be the same this year.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
We didn't consider the autumn exams resits last year and I would expect that to be the same this year.

I am currently in Upper Sixth and have taken a huge hit to my confidence with my English and History Coursework coming back as 2 Bs which were the ones I was predicted A*A* in (in total I was predicted A*A*AA and am no where near achieving them as I have completely destroyed my chances this year).
I was rejected by Cambridge already this year but if I attempt the Autumn re-sit can I do this at the same time as re-applying for all my unis including Cambridge in 2022-23?
I have no idea how this works.
Original post by M Zhandos AV
I am currently in Upper Sixth and have taken a huge hit to my confidence with my English and History Coursework coming back as 2 Bs which were the ones I was predicted A*A* in (in total I was predicted A*A*AA and am no where near achieving them as I have completely destroyed my chances this year).
I was rejected by Cambridge already this year but if I attempt the Autumn re-sit can I do this at the same time as re-applying for all my unis including Cambridge in 2022-23?

Hi there!

While there were October exams in previous years for applicants who had been awarded grades but wanted to have the opportunity to sit exams to possibly raise their grades, this will not be the case this year, as summer exam sittings are going ahead. If you wanted to resit any exams from this year, you would not be able to do so before next summer (from what I can see).

Resitting several A Level exams isn't usually something we look upon favourably unless there were significant extenuating circumstances during, or in the run up to, your exams. If there are, we'd recommend you ask your UCAS referee tell the universities you've firmed and insured so they can take this into account when they get your results.
Original post by M Zhandos AV

That must be tough. My son's school won't give a grade just a mark out of 40 but say they can't advise grade boundaries. Were you given the grade boundaries?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending