The Student Room Group

pharmacy first year uni

Hi im starting uni to do pharmacy soon and was wondering if any one had any advice or tips of things to do and learn before I start in September.
Reply 1
Original post by leahx023
Hi im starting uni to do pharmacy soon and was wondering if any one had any advice or tips of things to do and learn before I start in September.

I wouldn't worry about learning anything to be honest! But if you are eager then I would suggest getting an over the counter book and look over common minor ailments that you can treat within the pharmacy. Good luck:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by JS98
I wouldn't worry about learning anything to be honest! But if you are eager then I would suggest getting an over the counter book and look over common minor ailments that you can treat within the pharmacy. Good luck:smile:

oh okay thxs any book recommendations by any chance? and also do we have to remember any alevel them like organic synthesis cos ive forgotten most during the summer
Original post by leahx023
oh okay thxs any book recommendations by any chance? and also do we have to remember any alevel them like organic synthesis cos ive forgotten most during the summer

I took my A level chemistry and biology notes with me but hardly ever used them.

I would say relax and do nothing, and enjoy your time off, but if you want to get ahead, you could buy a used BNF, or there is 'Pharmacology at a Glance' which I found much easier to use than Rang and Dale, and a good little book 'The top 100 drugs'
Depending where you go, and how they structure the course, you might be doing a lot of organic chemistry to start so you could look at that.

We were taught all separate lecture blocks in:
- pharmaceutical chemistry
-pharmacology
-pharmaceutics (dosage form design)
pharmacognosy (drugs from plants)
-pharmacy law and ethics
-clinical pharmacy and therapeutics and over the counter prescribing

but some schools of pharmacy teach a lot different these days and combine all the above into different areas of the body such as the heart and start from the bottom and build all the above into the topic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending