The Student Room Group

Are school summer holidays too long?

This poll is closed

Should school summer holidays be shorter as kids need to catch up?

Yes summer break should be shorter. 29%
No make summer break longer71%
Total votes: 21
I think summer break is far too long after all the education they’ve missed due to lockdowns and school closures.
Normally the summer break lasts 6 weeks but in our area it’s 7 weeks this year!
Last year they returned on September 3rd but this year its a week later despite finishing at same time in July as last year. Do teachers really need a longer break after months of doing very little?

If anything schools should be going back earlier at 5 weeks definitely not 7 weeks.

Scroll to see replies

No.
It's seven weeks where I live because secondaries didn't do INSET days this year
Reply 3
Isn't it on a pattern? 7 weeks every few years?
When I went to school the summer break was never longer than 6 weeks. Now headteachers are making the break longer. People are paying taxes for kids to be educated but their getting less and less education.
I agree Schools need to be locked down for Covid but not having holidays extended so teachers can have more time off.
Original post by a_human_being?
It's seven weeks where I live because secondaries didn't do INSET days this year

Ah Inset days. Those inset days when teachers go in to school to drink coffee all day and have a natter. A lot of people would love a job like that 😆
I agree they need to get rid of inset days but not by extending holidays.
I've been calling them insect days.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Ah Inset days. Those inset days when teachers go in to school to drink coffee all day and have a natter. A lot of people would love a job like that 😆
I agree they need to get rid of inset days but not by extending holidays.

A job which pays crap and kids swear at you? A job in which 1 and 20 have mental health issues related to work that is likely to last longer than a year?
Reply 8
What makes you say theyre too long exactly?
Original post by Napp

I think with the massive amount of school time lost due to Covid, school closures and lockdowns, at this time a 6-7 week long summer break is far too long if we want pupils to catch up. Should be no longer than 5 weeks maximum.

Secondly the long summer break dates back to times long ago when children were needed to work in the fields to help with harvesting. Since that’s no longer the issue then there is no need for a long summer break.
Do teachers really need a longer break after months of doing very little?

If anything schools should be going back earlier at 5 weeks definitely not 7 weeks.

what makes you think that ?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Napp

I think with the massive amount of school time lost due to Covid, school closures and lockdowns, at this time a 6-7 week long summer break is far too long if we want pupils to catch up. Should be no longer than 5 weeks maximum.

Secondly the long summer break dates back to times long ago when children were needed to work in the fields to help with harvesting. Since that’s no longer the issue then there is no need for a long summer break.
depends on the persons lifestyle, but fr me WAY TOO LONG
Original post by nikkiblonsky
depends on the persons lifestyle, but fr me WAY TOO LONG

But you want to ban the whole August month
Original post by a_human_being?
But you want to ban the whole August month

we dont need her
How is 6 weeks too long
Some countries have about 3 months for summer?
They don't do half terms but they still do christmas and easter
Original post by Moonlight rain
How is 6 weeks too long

i think school holidays should be about 20 mins but only cos my sister annoys me:biggrin:

Your comment about COVID doesn’t exactly prove your point because it’s an isolated point in time kids have missed a lot of school for sure but that is not a reason to shorten the school holiday for all time.
I think it should be shorter yes, because people who struggle with mental health and receive support from their schools are literally left to try and survive for 6/7 weeks and sometimes that can be really really hard. People who live in toxic households aswell, who see school as an escape from the emotional abuse and control of toxic parents are stuck with them for 6 weeks unable to get a break

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending