The Student Room Group

Summer internship with no degree

Hello, i'm trying to add substance to my CV by possibly getting work experience in industry during the summer holidays before starting my degree in preparation for Spring week applications.

I hope to work somewhere in the finance industry and am doing an economics degree. Not particularly sure what I want to work as when I'm older but it would ideally be of more ideal financial jobs front office at major firms (in the best case scenario haha)

I've been looking around to no avail, could anyone suggest me things to look at? Or am I too late?

How can I have the competitive edge to other applicants in spring week applications?
Financial firms don't want to hire school leavers for internships. That's really the long and short of it I think...I mean what are they going to have that person do? They are unlikely to trust them to do any substantive work so the internship would either be doing very basic admin work (which you could just as well find anywhere that isn't a "major firm") or fetching tea and coffee.

I think you need to manage your expectations here really. There might be some shadowing type opportunities but even those I imagine are few and far between, and likely only a couple days or a week at most I'd think. Plus, it's practically summer already so if there were any such things available they've probably been set in stone long since...

If you want to work over the summer before your degree, look at local jobs. If you want something that might be vaguely useful experience wise (even just for your own sake) then try and see what office type jobs you can find rather than customer service related roles. Sign up with a temp agency and see what they have.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Financial firms don't want to hire school leavers for internships. That's really the long and short of it I think...I mean what are they going to have that person do? They are unlikely to trust them to do any substantive work so the internship would either be doing very basic admin work (which you could just as well find anywhere that isn't a "major firm") or fetching tea and coffee.

I think you need to manage your expectations here really. There might be some shadowing type opportunities but even those I imagine are few and far between, and likely only a couple days or a week at most I'd think. Plus, it's practically summer already so if there were any such things available they've probably been set in stone long since...

If you want to work over the summer before your degree, look at local jobs. If you want something that might be vaguely useful experience wise (even just for your own sake) then try and see what office type jobs you can find rather than customer service related roles. Sign up with a temp agency and see what they have.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yeah I do agree with you, it's been almost impossible finding any summer work experience before starting my degree. I just want to add some substance to my CV before applying for spring weeks and internships during summer etc. I was looking for perhaps insight days at banks too, could you suggest anything I could do in my time during the summer to add to my CV? Im not particularly sure if there is much else, perhaps a coding program during the summer so I can learn some new additional skills.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger

What temporary agencies are there?
Original post by Chris2838
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yeah I do agree with you, it's been almost impossible finding any summer work experience before starting my degree. I just want to add some substance to my CV before applying for spring weeks and internships during summer etc. I was looking for perhaps insight days at banks too, could you suggest anything I could do in my time during the summer to add to my CV? Im not particularly sure if there is much else, perhaps a coding program during the summer so I can learn some new additional skills.

Just get a regular job if you want I would say. As there is a lot to be said for having something on your CV showing that you can actually show up to work every morning on time for several months...
Original post by Chris2838
What temporary agencies are there?

Thousands, most are regional so you'll need to see what ones are in your area. There are a couple bigger national ones (can't remember the name of one I was with a couple years ago offhand though), although in my experience the local ones seem to do better in placing people into nicer roles!
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending