The Student Room Group

Nursing bcu

Please I’m starting adult nursing in January at Birmingham city university I was wondering am I going to get a summer holiday and am I going to finish December and start again January ?
Original post by Jessicaxxxxxxx
Please I’m starting adult nursing in January at Birmingham city university I was wondering am I going to get a summer holiday and am I going to finish December and start again January ?

Hi @Jessicaxxxxxxx

That's great that you're starting nursing! I hope you're feeling excited!

With a January start, your breaks/holidays are spaced out a bit differently to a September start. A typical calendar will include time off in April - about 2 weeks, time off in August - 2 weeks, and then time off from mid December until mid January.

You may also find that your timetable is not a full 5 day week schedule. For example, you may be in university for 2 full days and have the rest of the week off for private study and other work, free time etc. So even though you don't have an extended period of time off over the summer, your classes don't take up your whole week, so you should find some balance there.

These timings and breaks may change slightly when you start or over the next year or so, but that's roughly what they look like.

Hope this helps and best of luck starting in January!
Emily 🙂
Reply 2

Just to add to what BCU student rep said,

You might be doing either university studying or perhaps on placement over the summer months.
You'll get around 6 weeks of leave ( Xmas, Easter and whatever else that the university has pencilled in for leave).
You'll get your actual timetable from the university when you start and then you'll see exactly what you will be doing.

Best of luck with your nursing degree and look forward to the day you are finally qualified.
So you wouldn’t advise me to book a summer holiday and does placement fall around that summer time please
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Jessicaxxxxxxx

With a January start, your breaks/holidays are spaced out a bit differently to a September start. A typical calendar will include time off in April - about 2 weeks, time off in August - 2 weeks, and then time off from mid December until mid January.

You may also find that your timetable is not a full 5 day week schedule. For example, you may be in university for 2 full days and have the rest of the week off for private study and other work, free time etc. So even though you don't have an extended period of time off over the summer, your classes don't take up your whole week, so you should find some balance there.

These timings and breaks may change slightly when you start or over the next year or so, but that's roughly what they look like.

Emily 🙂

Thank you ❤️
Original post by Tracey_W
Just to add to what BCU student rep said,

You might be doing either university studying or perhaps on placement over the summer months.
You'll get around 6 weeks of leave ( Xmas, Easter and whatever else that the university has pencilled in for leave).
You'll get your actual timetable from the university when you start and then you'll see exactly what you will be doing.

Best of luck with your nursing degree and look forward to the day you are finally qualified.

Thank you❤️
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Jessicaxxxxxxx

Emily 🙂

Is there anyway the school could allow me some time off during summer without having to repeat anything ?
Reply 7
Is there anyway the school could allow me some time off during summer without having to repeat anything ?

Usually the general rule is that you shouldn’t be booking holidays when you are expected to be in uni or on placement. There can be an element of flexibility, but you will have to negotiate with the university and there’s always the chance they may say you can’t miss sessions.

Ultimately, attendance is monitored as you have to complete 2300 hours of theory and 2300 hours of placement to be able to register at the end of the course, hence why they can be a bit strict about attendance.

It would be wise to hold off on booking anything until you have confirmed dates of when you are off.

Hi @Jessicaxxxxxxx

I'm not sure whether having time off during the summer would affect your course. I would advise that this is something you discuss with your tutors when you first start in January, so you can plan ahead. It may be that the time you want off doesn't clash too much with your studies, but it's hard to say as I am not sure on your modules and assignment deadlines, but definitely speak to tutors when you get started.

Best of luck!
Reply 9
So you wouldn’t advise me to book a summer holiday and does placement fall around that summer time please

Yes it could unfortunately happen that you might have to go on placement or university study blocks during the summer months, you'll know much more about your upcoming academic year timetable when you start your course and given your timetable for the year ahead.

You can't take any unauthorised holidays during academic terms except for a immediate family funeral perhaps.

I would suggest that you don't book any summer holidays until you know exactly what your timetable is okay. You haven't got long to wait untill you get this information from the university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending