The Student Room Group

Ensuite

I am going through clearing for University, and when I have come to the accommodation part, I have been told there are no ensuite rooms left, only a waiting list or to take halls with shared bathrooms. I have suffered from IBS for many years and really need an ensuite. What are the chances of someone not taking the ensuite room such as deciding not to go to that uni etc or me explaining I have IBS and being a priority on the waiting list? Thanks
If you have a medical need for an ensuite bathroom, there's a chance that the university will get you one. Contact them immediately.
Reply 2
Original post by Theloniouss
If you have a medical need for an ensuite bathroom, there's a chance that the university will get you one. Contact them immediately.

But can they make people move out of the 500 ensuites into a non ensuite after they have already paid their bond etc?
Check if there's any private halls near the university, they almost always have ensuite rooms left
Reply 4
Original post by candidate415
Check if there's any private halls near the university, they almost always have ensuite rooms left

Only 2 nearby but they are private flats for a lot more money :frown:
Original post by TomSp8
But can they make people move out of the 500 ensuites into a non ensuite after they have already paid their bond etc?

I don't know. Different universities will have different policies, but you won't get one if you don't tell them.
Reply 6
Original post by Theloniouss
I don't know. Different universities will have different policies, but you won't get one if you don't tell them.

True, I’ll let them know, thanks
Original post by TomSp8
True, I’ll let them know, thanks

They may be able to bump you up the waiting list due to medical need, but they obviously won't force anyone to move out of their already-assigned ensuite room. It's definitely worth a try though.
Reply 8
Original post by PhoenixFortune
They may be able to bump you up the waiting list due to medical need, but they obviously won't force anyone to move out of their already-assigned ensuite room. It's definitely worth a try though.

Would you think many rooms would become available from the 500 rooms (roughly)? Such as people changing their mind about uni / going to a different one? I’m worrying now haha
Original post by TomSp8
Would you think many rooms would become available from the 500 rooms (roughly)? Such as people changing their mind about uni / going to a different one? I’m worrying now haha

It depends on how many people out of those 500 accepted their unconditional firm offers, and how many might decide to not go after all, which is impossible to estimate. I have IBS too, so I understand your concerns, but it's one of those wait-and-see scenarios unfortunately. Would sharing a bathroom be completely off limits, or is it a last resort?
Reply 10
It depends on how many people out of those 500 accepted their unconditional firm offers, and how many might decide to not go after all, which is impossible to estimate. I have IBS too, so I understand your concerns, but it's one of those wait-and-see scenarios unfortunately. Would sharing a bathroom be completely off limits, or is it a last resort?

Last resort, don’t really want to turn down Uni because I can’t have an Ensuite, but it’s one less thing to stress about and of course stress makes IBS worse
Original post by TomSp8
Last resort, don’t really want to turn down Uni because I can’t have an Ensuite, but it’s one less thing to stress about and of course stress makes IBS worse

If you've already considered private halls, then your only other option is to look for student houses with ensuite bathrooms, although these aren't always common depending on where your university is.
Reply 12
If you've already considered private halls, then your only other option is to look for student houses with ensuite bathrooms, although these aren't always common depending on where your university is.

Response from the accommodation team -

If you can provide medical evidence (such as a doctor's note or hospital letter) which explains why you require an ensuite, we should be able to prioritise you on the waiting list, once your offer is confirmed.

Ok I’m a bit more relieved now so fingers crossed once I get the doctors note all will be good
I think others have said this but I'd definitely just contact them and explain your medical situation. As far as I'm aware they're obliged to then give you what you need.
Reply 14
Original post by TomSp8
I am going through clearing for University, and when I have come to the accommodation part, I have been told there are no ensuite rooms left, only a waiting list or to take halls with shared bathrooms. I have suffered from IBS for many years and really need an ensuite. What are the chances of someone not taking the ensuite room such as deciding not to go to that uni etc or me explaining I have IBS and being a priority on the waiting list? Thanks

You need to phone the university accommodation team and talk to them, explaining your medical condition asap. They will try their best to help you - there is a big difference between someone wanting an en-suite for convenience, and someone with a medical condition - and only they can give you an indication of how likely it is. You may need to provide medical evidence if they are to prioritise you for medical reasons. Talk to them.

Edit: I see that you have! Hope all goes smoothly for you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by marple
You need to phone the university accommodation team and talk to them, explaining your medical condition asap. They will try their best to help you - there is a big difference between someone wanting an en-suite for convenience, and someone with a medical condition - and only they can give you an indication of how likely it is. You may need to provide medical evidence if they are to prioritise you for medical reasons. Talk to them.

Edit: I see that you have! Hope all goes smoothly for you.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending