The Student Room Group

Sociology vs psychology a level

I’m planning on changing my subjects and subbing one of them out with sociology. I’m already taking psychology and law. But I’m not sure if psychology is too closely linked to sociology.

Can anyone give me any advice? Thank you
Original post by AlannahK09
I’m planning on changing my subjects and subbing one of them out with sociology. I’m already taking psychology and law. But I’m not sure if psychology is too closely linked to sociology.

Can anyone give me any advice? Thank you

hey, i do soc and know loads of ppl who do psych, and from what i can tell they aren’t too similar in terms of content although the exam style is similar, which i would say is rlly helpful! however, i think it depends what other subjects you’re taking and what you want to do after a levels - lots of humanities degrees require history or english (for ex), and whilst unis don’t tend to look at ‘soft’ subjects or similarity of subjects, it’s important that what you take will be applicable to your uni courses
some say that they are very closely linked, but i wouldnt say its not worth it; it depends what you want to do after your a levels. once ive completed all my courses, i will have a levels in politics, law, psychology, and sociology
Reply 3
I’m thinking of having my a levels as psychology sociology and law. I’m thinking of studying social science or psychology at uni
This will vary slightly based on your exam board and curriculum but from my experience:
Theres overlap in the research methods module and a bit in the ethics and debates module, and as someone else pointed out, the exam style is similar (for AQA at least). If you study social influence in your psych course it does provide another angle to some of the issues described in sociology but other than that they're pretty distinct from each other.

Quick Reply

Latest