The Student Room Group

Languages in medical school

Can any one advise?
Ucat 3010 sjt band 2
GCSEs 9’s and 8’s
A levels predicted french a* biology a* and chemistry a.
Want to keep up with my french but not take it as a degree as obviously want to study medicine. But is anyone aware of any universities that have a french club or society or even an evening type school. Don’t want to lose my skills I’ve learned. I love languages and am fluent especially in french Spanish and have taken British sign language level 1. Want to eventually work for “doctors without borders” so just wondered if any universities have that option of running language alongside? Many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Boothymiller
Can any one advise?
Ucat 3010 sjt band 2
GCSEs 9’s and 8’s
A levels predicted french a* biology a* and chemistry a.
Want to keep up with my french but not take it as a degree as obviously want to study medicine. But is anyone aware of any universities that have a french club or society or even an evening type school. Don’t want to lose my skills I’ve learned. I love languages and am fluent especially in french Spanish and have taken British sign language level 1. Want to eventually work for “doctors without borders” so just wondered if any universities have that option of running language alongside? Many thanks

There's usually a French societies in most universities where you can practice French with other students, watch French films and eat French cuisine. That should definitely help keep your French skills sharp!
The vast majorty of unis will have not only a French soc, but some affiliated language evening classes you can take alongside your degree if you want. Or you could do OU modules.

You could also look at Manchester's Medicine With European Studies degree which sounds perfect for you.
Original post by becausethenight
The vast majorty of unis will have not only a French soc, but some affiliated language evening classes you can take alongside your degree if you want. Or you could do OU modules.

You could also look at Manchester's Medicine With European Studies degree which sounds perfect for you.

Great thank you. Just looked. Yes sounds perfect. I have booked my campus tour. Thanks so much for your help 😀
Original post by SyedN
There's usually a French societies in most universities where you can practice French with other students, watch French films and eat French cuisine. That should definitely help keep your French skills sharp!

Thank you. Been advised to look at Manchester.
I did French evening classes alongside med school. Like you I did A-level. The class I did was an undergrad-level evening class. It was done by my university’s languages dept, but I organised it entirely separately to med school and paid for it. I also studied another language starting at beginner level. I mainly did it during preclinical and my intercalated year. I would have found it hard during clinical years due to commuting to placements. I did my elective in French-speaking Africa, and subsequently spent 3 years working in a rural bush hospital in a francophone African country.
Original post by junior.doctor
I did French evening classes alongside med school. Like you I did A-level. The class I did was an undergrad-level evening class. It was done by my university’s languages dept, but I organised it entirely separately to med school and paid for it. I also studied another language starting at beginner level. I mainly did it during preclinical and my intercalated year. I would have found it hard during clinical years due to commuting to placements. I did my elective in French-speaking Africa, and subsequently spent 3 years working in a rural bush hospital in a francophone African country.

May I ask what uni you attended?
Original post by Boothymiller
May I ask what uni you attended?

Birmingham. But as I say, it was nothing to do with the medschool - I organised and paid for it all myself in my free time as I enjoyed languages and that was how I chose to spend my time. I would imagine that many universities would have similar evening language classes that are separate to degree courses.

Birmingham also has the Brasshouse language centre that runs a lot of language courses.
Original post by junior.doctor
Birmingham. But as I say, it was nothing to do with the medschool - I organised and paid for it all myself in my free time as I enjoyed languages and that was how I chose to spend my time. I would imagine that many universities would have similar evening language classes that are separate to degree courses.

Birmingham also has the Brasshouse language centre that runs a lot of language courses.

Ok great thanks so much I have just booked onto an open day at Birmingham 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending