The Student Room Group

Average UCAT

Hi all, just did my UCAT the other day (woo finally over).
I scored 2600 in total and band 3 in the sjt.
For my GCSEs I have straight 9s (11 total) and I'm predicted 45 points in the IB. But, I'm not sure how heavily unis will consider 2020 GCSE grades (for obvious reasons).
I'm planning to apply to Dundee and Exeter as my UCAT schools, and was wondering if you think my current stats would land me an interview? Unfortunately, I can't apply for 2022 entry for places like Cardiff or Plymouth as I'll be 17 going into uni.

My BMAT schools are Cambridge and Leeds. Would it be risky to apply to 3 BMAT schools?
Thanks so much for the help in advance!!
Reply 1
Original post by anastasiaxet
For my GCSEs I have straight 9s (11 total) and I'm predicted 45 points in the IB. But, I'm not sure how heavily unis will consider 2020 GCSE grades (for obvious reasons).
I'm planning to apply to Dundee and Exeter as my UCAT schools, and was wondering if you think my current stats would land me an interview? Unfortunately, I can't apply for 2022 entry for places like Cardiff or Plymouth as I'll be 17 going into uni.

My BMAT schools are Cambridge and Leeds. Would it be risky to apply to 3 BMAT schools?

Are a Scottish Student?

If you're applying this year then yes its very risk to apply to even 2 BMAT Universities as you will be applying blind because the September sitting has been cancelled and only the November sitting will go ahead.
Original post by SyedN
Are a Scottish Student?

If you're applying this year then yes its very risk to apply to even 2 BMAT Universities as you will be applying blind because the September sitting has been cancelled and only the November sitting will go ahead.

Not scottish, just RUK student. But looking at Scottish unis since I don't have to be 18 to enter. That's a very fair point. If I were to apply to 3 BMAT schools, it would be Cambridge, Leeds and Brighton & Sussex.
Reply 3
Not scottish, just RUK student. But looking at Scottish unis since I don't have to be 18 to enter. That's a very fair point. If I were to apply to 3 BMAT schools, it would be Cambridge, Leeds and Brighton & Sussex.

Then Dundee might be a risky one, I'll tag in @GANFYD so she can tell you if you have a shot or not.

I would say pick 1 BMAT university (Leeds) but I don't want to give my opinion as I might be bias :lol:
Original post by SyedN
Then Dundee might be a risky one, I'll tag in @GANFYD so she can tell you if you have a shot or not.

I would say pick 1 BMAT university (Leeds) but I don't want to give my opinion as I might be bias :lol:

great thanks so much for your advice though
Reply 5

Exeter rank 75% A levels and 25% UCAT, so depends on your HL scores (and check they are treated the asme as A levels) and decile, when they are released and you can check your points here
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/recruitmentsites/docs/bmbs_detailed_admissions_process2022entry_v4.pdf

Dundee has just 15 places for RUK applicants, and has required UCATs around 2800 for an interview in recent years.

Some med school accept you being 18 by a certain month in the first year, so choices depends a bit on when your birthday is, but Liverpool would be one good option, as would Aston and Sunderland.
YOur best bet is to apply for deferred entry and take a gap year
Reply 6
Original post by GANFYD
Exeter rank 75% A levels and 25% UCAT, so depends on your HL scores (and check they are treated the asme as A levels) and decile, when they are released and you can check your points here
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/recruitmentsites/docs/bmbs_detailed_admissions_process2022entry_v4.pdf

Dundee has just 15 places for RUK applicants, and has required UCATs around 2800 for an interview in recent years.

Some med school accept you being 18 by a certain month in the first year, so choices depends a bit on when your birthday is, but Liverpool would be one good option, as would Aston and Sunderland.

PRSOM, thank you!
Original post by GANFYD

I am keen on Exeter as they have the 75-25 split, which would be playing to my strengths. Thanks so much for that stat on Dundee, as I could only find ranges for min and max points, which obviously does no provide the full picture. Just wondering, do you think it is risky to apply for a deferred entry at Cardiff with my current statistics?
Reply 8
I am keen on Exeter as they have the 75-25 split, which would be playing to my strengths. Thanks so much for that stat on Dundee, as I could only find ranges for min and max points, which obviously does no provide the full picture. Just wondering, do you think it is risky to apply for a deferred entry at Cardiff with my current statistics?

I'll let GANFYD weigh in as well, but I believe Cardiff would be a good choice as they focus more on GCSEs and are a GCSE heavy med school so you having 9 9s (I know it's 11 but they only look at 9) is definitely an advantage!
Original post by SyedN
I'll let GANFYD weigh in as well, but I believe Cardiff would be a good choice as they focus more on GCSEs and are a GCSE heavy med school so you having 9 9s (I know it's 11 but they only look at 9) is definitely an advantage!

thats comforting to know as I didn't want to resort to applying to 3 BMAT schools :smile:
Reply 10

The probelm wiht Cardiff is that they have had more applicants with full academic marks than they have inerview places for, in the last few years, so they use PS (which is hugely subjective) and UCAT as a tiebreaker. You woul dhave safer options for deferred entry, but if you wnat to go for it, make sure your PS meets their requirements

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending