The Student Room Group

UK Conservatoires

Who has been accepted to study at a UK Conservatoire with the weakest qualifications, i.e. playing one instrument at Grade 8 only with no Diplomas and no Junior Conservatoire experience? It seems without a Diploma or more and without Junior Conservatoire experience, you are unlikely to gain a place at one of the top places. Any thoughts?
Hi, I study classical guitar at Trinity Laban and I was in a very similar position to you. I've never done any grades on classical guitar, and I was only at grade 8 level. I also never went to a junior conservatoire. However, I applied (very late too!) and got an offer from 2/4 conservatoires I applied to (the other 2 I withdrew from once I got into Trinity).
My advice would be use the time you've got now to decide where you want to apply (up to 7 if you're applying to Guildhall, or up to 6 if not) and really work on your pieces, as that's the main thing they're going to consider-performance currently and your potential to achieve well at conservatoire study. If you can, I would also advise really reading up on what each conservatoire offers and how it would suit what you want, as that's likely to come up in interview. For example, at Trinity, I knew that colab would be something I'd really enjoy, as well as having the opportunity to work with dancers and musical theatre people. If you're applying this year, you've only got a month or so to get your application in, as they're normally due a couple of weeks before oxbridge/med applications (around 1-3 October).
Try and decide on your pieces now, research what each conservatoire you like wants in an audition. Also make sure you're at least grade 5 theory standard, higher if you can (there are workbooks etc published by both Trinity and ABRSM).
By the time I started Trinity, I was around grade 7-8 theory and grade 8 guitar.
Might also be worth noting that if you are particularly worried, Leeds Conservatoire offers a foundation year that will progress onto their normal courses, so that may be worth looking into.
Again though, the main thing they're looking for is potential. As long as you can show you can work hard and are at at least a grade 8 standard, you stand a good chance. You do have to work hard though, around 3-4 hours of practice a day, plus academic work, so it's worth showing you are able to do that if you can (eg. practice between periods, and after you get home. When I did that I got in at least 3 hours in a day).
If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
It is my experience that conservatoires don't care what qualifications anyone has or hasn't got (and they get lots of international applicants where grades are not common). They pretty much base their decision on how you perform at audition and whether they think they can get you to professional standard by the end of the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending