The Student Room Group

PGCE occupational health

I accepted my place for my PGCE course back in October, I was sent the Occupational Health form a few weeks ago, which I have filled out.

I did disclose, that I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder and take medication for it, however I have had years of CBT therapy and I feel confident with progressing on the course but feel it would be useful for me to have access to well being services if I find my self struggling on the course.

I've since been contacted for a telephone assessment, I am getting concerned now.
I have resigned from my Job, and have already started the preparation essays the for the course. All my family and friends are excited for me.

Is there anything I should be concerned for or is it just formality?
It’s not a formality, but they’re not going to prevent you from doing the course. OH is there to support you. You’ve disclosed that you feel able to proceed with the course but might need access to wellbeing services, so they need to let you know what services are available and how you can access them. You did the right thing in telling them what you need, now they’re doing their job and making sure that you have what you’ve asked for. They wouldn’t be doing their job properly if they didn’t.
Original post by user021
I accepted my place for my PGCE course back in October, I was sent the Occupational Health form a few weeks ago, which I have filled out.

I did disclose, that I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder and take medication for it, however I have had years of CBT therapy and I feel confident with progressing on the course but feel it would be useful for me to have access to well being services if I find my self struggling on the course.

I've since been contacted for a telephone assessment, I am getting concerned now.
I have resigned from my Job, and have already started the preparation essays the for the course. All my family and friends are excited for me.

Just formality. But tbh disclosing it can be a double edged sword. When you start a job like teaching a lot of the culture is that you just need to get on with it and honestly I don’t want to scare you but placements are literally random, you could end up in a grand school with the best kids or you could end up somewhere that’ll actually have you on your knees with behaviour and in these situations you really do just have to get on with it to essentially pass.

I know everyone says it’s hard but honestly it really is. So yeah it’s good to have access to the well-being services at uni but they’ll only do so much. Being someone with anxiety myself I declared it and it made no odds and now I wouldn’t bother telling an employer. But that’s just me
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Jammydodger39
Just formality. But tbh disclosing it can be a double edged sword. When you start a job like teaching a lot of the culture is that you just need to get on with it and honestly I don’t want to scare you but placements are literally random, you could end up in a grand school with the best kids or you could end up somewhere that’ll actually have you on your knees with behaviour and in these situations you really do just have to get on with it to essentially pass.

I know everyone says it’s hard but honestly it really is. So yeah it’s good to have access to the well-being services at uni but they’ll only do so much. Being someone with anxiety myself I declared it and it made no odds and now I wouldn’t bother telling an employer

You really shouldn’t be advising people not to disclose health issues and disabilities. Given that you received extensive support from your university and your placements because of your dyslexia, including extra time and a tutor to help you complete your assessments, it’s very dishonest for you to tell a PGCE student that they will be unsupported.
Original post by user021

It's very late in the day for them to be doing your OH assessment, but it is about supporting you, not barring you from the course.

It is possible (if something truly problematic was revealed during the assessment) you would not be able to start the course, but this is very, very unlikely.
Just a quick reminder that if you have an issue with what someone has posted, use the report function and please do not quote their post.

Name-calling is not allowed on TSR.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
It's very late in the day for them to be doing your OH assessment.

Are you sure about that? It seems pretty much in-line with the OH interviews at the university I trained with. I can’t remember the exact dates, but we had started the academic side of the course and not yet started our first placements, so it must have been around this time of year.
Original post by ThursdaysChild22
Are you sure about that? It seems pretty much in-line with the OH interviews at the university I trained with. I can’t remember the exact dates, but we had started the academic side of the course and not yet started our first placements, so it must have been around this time of year.

The OH assessment is supposed to put in place any support needed to complete the course- this could be the academic side too. It's poor practice to do it after starting the course.

On TSR and elsewhere, I have (very, very occasionally) seen students rejected post OH assessment, so it really should be done as early as possible.
Do you think, perhaps, that OH departments triage their assessments and first contact people who may be unable to proceed on their course, leaving people who can proceed but would benefit from signposting to appropriate services for later?

At what stage of application/enrolment have you seen students rejected post OH assessment?

And again, I do think you need to be mindful of distinguishing between what you think should be the case and what is.
Reply 9
Do you think, perhaps, that OH departments triage their assessments and first contact people who may be unable to proceed on their course, leaving people who can proceed but would benefit from signposting to appropriate services for later?

At what stage of application/enrolment have you seen students rejected post OH assessment?

And again, I do think you need to be mindful of distinguishing between what you think should be the case and what is.

Yes, I also was wondering about this my call was scheduled for 20th of September which is a week after my course officially starts. I called them and they managed to fit me in tomorrow, but yeah I do find this quite odd I have to admit. I’ve spoken to my fellow peers, and several of them all had calls relating to similar issues as me, and we’re fine. So fingers crossed!

Do you understand what the phrase "poor practice" means?

Also, OH cannot know before the assessment who will be able to proceed, and who won't be, because information disclosed during the assessment can create all the difference.
Reply 11
I had the assessment and all good to proceed! But thank you all for the advice! :smile:
Original post by user021
I had the assessment and all good to proceed! But thank you all for the advice! :smile:

Hurrah! Pleased it went well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending