The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance? Is it worth it?

Scroll to see replies

It’s worth it if you want it. And if you want it enough, you’ll try more than once if necessary.
Original post by SyedN
It is scary but there's no point worrying about things you cannot control so just do your best to smash the UCAT and then apply strategically to med schools and hopefully you'll get one or more offers!

Yeah I'm current in Leeds which is a BMAT university.

The deadline is 15th October so just a bit over a month left now.

That's true, thank you for the advice, I'll really rethink everything and look realistically at which unis I have a chance for and give my best for the ucat. I could try bmat but I think I'll see whether it's in my best interest to.

Ok so I have a month, probably not enough but it's my only chance!
Original post by Turning_A_Corner
It’s worth it if you want it. And if you want it enough, you’ll try more than once if necessary.

That's true, I guess I'll find out whether I want it enough pretty soon
I would honestly say I think that work experience can help to determine your decision on whether you think Medicine is for you or not. Like others have stated you definitely seem capable of pursuing Medicine but obvs you just need to be assured whether your heart is in it. I would advise you to apply anyway and take the UCAT however in this time to also have a look at gaining work experience and deciding through that and also utilising social media platforms to speak to medical school students (possibly at your preferred medical schools) and also junior doctors and consultants working within the UK. Also as your fifth option if you are intrigued by a career in Medicine I would recommend thinking about the Physician Associate programme. However with this one I think that there are currently only two Universities in the UK that offer this course as an undergraduate degree - University of Central Lancashire and University of Reading.
Original post by Appio001
I would honestly say I think that work experience can help to determine your decision on whether you think Medicine is for you or not. Like others have stated you definitely seem capable of pursuing Medicine but obvs you just need to be assured whether your heart is in it. I would advise you to apply anyway and take the UCAT however in this time to also have a look at gaining work experience and deciding through that and also utilising social media platforms to speak to medical school students (possibly at your preferred medical schools) and also junior doctors and consultants working within the UK. Also as your fifth option if you are intrigued by a career in Medicine I would recommend thinking about the Physician Associate programme. However with this one I think that there are currently only two Universities in the UK that offer this course as an undergraduate degree - University of Central Lancashire and University of Reading.

Honestly I don't know why ppl are saying I'm capable of it, I think others are much more so but yeah I think it's just I need to figure out if my heart is in it or not really because if it isn't there's not much point with going through with it cos I'm probably also capable in other careers, it's just I feel like I'll be doing more for others in medicine. I'm working on getting work experience asap and doing the ucat and if I don't do well in the ucat then I think it will probably be a sign! And I'll talk to as many ppl as possible too, thank you. I've heard of physician associates, is that more common in america than the UK cos I barely hear of them here?
Are there any more careers you have an interest in or have thought about at least?

It's perfectly normal to perhaps feel it may not be for you, or even to chose another path. You seem to have a logical head on your shoulders and are more than capable of doing whatever you put your mind and heart to. You have great grades so you could do whatever you liked for the most part!

Experience and things like shadowing have been impossible to get during the pandemic because I have tried it myself. I say just seek out careers advice and talk to other student doctors to gain more insight.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Calibann
Are there any more careers you have an interest in or have thought about at least?

It's perfectly normal to perhaps feel it may not be for you, or even to chose another path. You seem to have a logical head on your shoulders and are more than capable of doing whatever you put your mind and heart to. You have great grades so you could do whatever you liked for the most part!

Experience and things like shadowing have been impossible to get during the pandemic because I have tried it myself. I say just seek out careers advice and talk to other student doctors to gain more insight.

Yeah I've thought of a few careers, I wanted to do engineering cos I thought it would fit me but then I realised I like the degree more than the profession itself. I considered maths related careers because I'd say it's my strongest subject and was my favourite but I hate to think most of them don't do much good for the world? Like working in a bank making lots of money but end of the day feeling like I'm not making much difference? At the same time that doesn't mean working outside of medicine you won't make a difference

Thank you! I do think that whatever direction I go through I'll work hard but it's not going to be easy for sure. I think the main thing for me is to go down a path I'll find fulfilling and rewarding and I've heard from many that even though there's many sacrifices you have to make in medicine the rewards outweigh that, which definitely makes it sound amazing! Of course sacrifices cannot be taken lightly and will probably become more of a problem later on.

Yeah I wasn't able to find any work experience last year due to the pandemic and I'm sure it's not much better this year either so I'll have to look at online work exp, but I have asked my friend who's dad is a gp to look around for me!
Original post by TastyCheescake
Honestly I don't know why ppl are saying I'm capable of it, I think others are much more so but yeah I think it's just I need to figure out if my heart is in it or not really because if it isn't there's not much point with going through with it cos I'm probably also capable in other careers, it's just I feel like I'll be doing more for others in medicine. I'm working on getting work experience asap and doing the ucat and if I don't do well in the ucat then I think it will probably be a sign! And I'll talk to as many ppl as possible too, thank you. I've heard of physician associates, is that more common in america than the UK cos I barely hear of them here?

Yes exactly it’ll be better to find out for yourself whether you’ve made the right decision rather than regretting it later on. Also yes the Physician Associate role is more widely known within the American health system but more and more people are hearing about the role now within the UK. If you want a chance at another fulfilling career pathway where you can practice medicine in a more flexible capacity I’d recommend this for you.
Original post by TastyCheescake
Two gap years is ok for medicine but I'm wondering if that's the case for all courses/unis :frown:

I think most of them are doubts about my ability cos I just don't feel as qualified for medicine as ppl who did biology a level or got A*s in chemistry and I'm sure there's many ppl who did, and yeah I just don't know at this age whether I rlly want this or not, there's only one way to find out. I think if I don't do well in the ucat there wouldn't be too much point in trying since it's so competitive but idk if I should give up or not.

Yeah I guess it can't always be said because everyone has doubts like this I'm sure

I definitely had/have similar doubts. At first I was worried I might not cope with the practical aspects of medicine, so I took the most hands-on HCA role I could find to test my limits. After my initial elation at successfully drawing blood, my "I'll never manage venepuncture" doubt was replaced with "Cannulas look harder - how will I cope with those?" and "Chest drains seem scary!"

As I did arts/languages A-levels and an arts degree, I needed a very high UCAT to make me eligible to apply. I managed to get 3150, but almost as soon as I had attained this I was thinking, "Will I really cope without knowing any chemistry at all? I'll be so behind compared to people with biomed degrees and I'll probably fail the first year exams!"

If I pass first year of medical school, experience suggests that my brain will decide this is a total fluke and that I will fall at the next hurdle. You can't resolve all your doubts. You'll just find another thing to worry about. The only solution I've found is to just do the thing and not think about it too much in the process. :tongue:
Original post by Appio001
Yes exactly it’ll be better to find out for yourself whether you’ve made the right decision rather than regretting it later on. Also yes the Physician Associate role is more widely known within the American health system but more and more people are hearing about the role now within the UK. If you want a chance at another fulfilling career pathway where you can practice medicine in a more flexible capacity I’d recommend this for you.

I agree, I feel like once Ur in medicine it's hard to leave it so I need to be very very sure. That does seem quite interesting but I'm not sure how many positions they have for physician associates since I've barely heard of many people here with that job. Still something to consider
Original post by Incidentaloma
I definitely had/have similar doubts. At first I was worried I might not cope with the practical aspects of medicine, so I took the most hands-on HCA role I could find to test my limits. After my initial elation at successfully drawing blood, my "I'll never manage venepuncture" doubt was replaced with "Cannulas look harder - how will I cope with those?" and "Chest drains seem scary!"

As I did arts/languages A-levels and an arts degree, I needed a very high UCAT to make me eligible to apply. I managed to get 3150, but almost as soon as I had attained this I was thinking, "Will I really cope without knowing any chemistry at all? I'll be so behind compared to people with biomed degrees and I'll probably fail the first year exams!"

If I pass first year of medical school, experience suggests that my brain will decide this is a total fluke and that I will fall at the next hurdle. You can't resolve all your doubts. You'll just find another thing to worry about. The only solution I've found is to just do the thing and not think about it too much in the process. :tongue:

Oh wow, what made you decide on medicine as a career in particular? I agree it's easy to doubt yourself especially when other people seem more qualified but it's something I'm trying not to think of, I'm sure people get into medicine with maths physics and chemistry as well (at least I hope so). I think I'm a very anxious person in general so I doubt things very easily and I'm also an overthinker so I don't know how I won't think too much about it either, but I'll try

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending