The Student Room Group

If I finished one degree, how many years of maintenance can I get?

I'm looking at starting another three-year FdSc in Vet Nursing after finishing my current course. With the help of family and my own savings, I can pay for the first two years of the tuition but I would struggle with living costs.

After speaking to Student Loans for a different matter (I was considering leaving my current course after second year), they confirmed that I could get maintenance for the first year of a new course. Does this extend to a self-funded second year as well? Or would I only get it for first year?

Thanks.
Normally you can't get any funding for a second degree unless it is a designated exception course. However I believe some vet related courses may be exception courses under the agricultural courses exception. You would need to check with SFE if it is an exception course or not - if not assume you can't get any funding (and take any you get as a bonus, really).

You may be better off looking at apprenticeship routes into vet nursing (I believe you can do these if you are established as a vet tech at a practice) if it's not an exception course. That said last I heard (mind you, this was about 5 years ago) the market for vet nurses was pretty poor with it being very over-saturated in many areas with too many nurses and not enough practices to support them. So you may also need to consider if it's going to be possible for you to move for the job (either for an apprenticeship or after qualifying through an HE course)
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending