The Student Room Group

Dissertation Title

Hi!
Can someone proofread this title to see if it makes sense for my dissertation EPQ? It covers the topic of assisted suicide and whether it should be legalised. I have two ideas ...

' To what magnitude should the legal refinement of euthanasia and assisted suicide be restablished '

' To what extent should self-inflicted euthanasia and assisted suicide be legalised and/or criminalised '

Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by tay_raine
Hi!
Can someone proofread this title to see if it makes sense for my dissertation EPQ? It covers the topic of assisted suicide and whether it should be legalised. I have two ideas ...

' To what magnitude should the legal refinement of euthanasia and assisted suicide be restablished '

' To what extent should self-inflicted euthanasia and assisted suicide be legalised and/or criminalised '

Thank you!! :smile:

I'd suggest the second title is much better. The terms "to what magnitude" and "legal refinement" in the first are unclear.

My main reservation over the second is the term "self-inflicted euthanasia". I think I understand what you are getting at, but in what way would it differ from "suicide"? Most people who kill themselves do so because of unbearable suffering, but I don't think you are intending to review the law on suicide, are you? If - as I suspect - you are wanting to look into the legality of others making the means of suicide available eg by prescribing lethal drugs, then wouldn't that be covered by the terms "euthanasia" or "assisted dying"? So maybe the term "euthanisia" is sufficient?
Reply 2
Original post by OxFossil
I'd suggest the second title is much better. The terms "to what magnitude" and "legal refinement" in the first are unclear.

My main reservation over the second is the term "self-inflicted euthanasia". I think I understand what you are getting at, but in what way would it differ from "suicide"? Most people who kill themselves do so because of unbearable suffering, but I don't think you are intending to review the law on suicide, are you? If - as I suspect - you are wanting to look into the legality of others making the means of suicide available eg by prescribing lethal drugs, then wouldn't that be covered by the terms "euthanasia" or "assisted dying"? So maybe the term "euthanisia" is sufficient?

Thank you!

I understand what you're saying about the first title being unclear.

You're right in the fact I intend to write a dissertation on the legality of euthanasia and not the law on suicide.

This is the title to which I have now edited-
' To what extent should euthanasia and assisted dying be legalised and/or criminalised'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending