The Student Room Group

How to get an A* at A-level English literature ?

How to get an A* in English Literature A -level ? Also , I'm in my first year of year 12
Hi there! I just received an A* in my A Level English, here are a few things that come to mind:

First of all, for your texts reading a LOT of critical material is helpful. I spent my free periods reading JStor or other academic articles about my texts, taking note of the ideas they expressed. These essays are usually of an undergraduate or above level, meaning that the ideas are mature and definitely worthwhile noting.

My second tip would be to consistently create essay plans- after you finish a theme in class, make an essay plan for that question. Ie if you have just studied gender in Wuthering Height, plan how you would answer a question on it’s presentation in the text. Doing this regularly is beneficial and will save you time in the pre exam period. I used to plan essays with another girl in my class once a week after school, and this was helpful as it meant we could share ideas.

Thirdly, make the most of your coursework. This is something that determines your overall grade that you’re in 100% control over. Start to read around some different texts that you could potentially use in advance, meaning that when the time comes to choose you’ll already know what you’ll want to write about and will consequently be prepared. Once it comes to actually writing your coursework, give it your all. It WILL take ages so start early and do not leave it to the last minute. Again, having read essays on JStor will be helpful when it comes to writing this too, as you’ll be able to emulate the style more easily.
Reply 2
Original post by jane_wEYREwolf
Hi there! I just received an A* in my A Level English, here are a few things that come to mind:

First of all, for your texts reading a LOT of critical material is helpful. I spent my free periods reading JStor or other academic articles about my texts, taking note of the ideas they expressed. These essays are usually of an undergraduate or above level, meaning that the ideas are mature and definitely worthwhile noting.

My second tip would be to consistently create essay plans- after you finish a theme in class, make an essay plan for that question. Ie if you have just studied gender in Wuthering Height, plan how you would answer a question on it’s presentation in the text. Doing this regularly is beneficial and will save you time in the pre exam period. I used to plan essays with another girl in my class once a week after school, and this was helpful as it meant we could share ideas.

Thirdly, make the most of your coursework. This is something that determines your overall grade that you’re in 100% control over. Start to read around some different texts that you could potentially use in advance, meaning that when the time comes to choose you’ll already know what you’ll want to write about and will consequently be prepared. Once it comes to actually writing your coursework, give it your all. It WILL take ages so start early and do not leave it to the last minute. Again, having read essays on JStor will be helpful when it comes to writing this too, as you’ll be able to emulate the style more easily.

Thankyou ever so much , this is beyond helpful ! Also , I'm so sorry if this sounds rather witless, but would you write essay plans based of off homework questions , or would you do them of off past papers ? Additionally , congratulations on getting an A* in English lit a level , that's SO impressive and thankyou for your tips and advice !!
You’re welcome! And no that’s a very valid question, so I would do a mixture of both, as well as essentially create my own questions. By this I mean if we were studying a theme of the text in class, I would then go home and plan an essay answer to a question on the presentation of that theme. Ie if we had really focussed on the supernatural in Hamlet in class that day, I would then plan an essay for ‘the presentation of the supernatural in hamlet’ that evening when all the ideas are fresh in my head.

Thank you! English is my favourite subject and I was also an Oxford English candidate - invited to interview and reapplying this year as a gap year student- so I spent a lot of time working on it. I would also say do not be disheartened if it takes you a while to get the essay style right. Especially with the comparison (if you are doing Edexcel) it is a jump from GCSE and it took me most of year 12 to really become confident with what I was supposed to be doing.

If you want extra advice or ever have any textually specific questions (depending on what texts you’re doing I may be able to help) then feel free to send me a message on the student room.

Best of luck, and, if you really want to get this A* and you work for it then you will!
Reply 4
You’re welcome! And no that’s a very valid question, so I would do a mixture of both, as well as essentially create my own questions. By this I mean if we were studying a theme of the text in class, I would then go home and plan an essay answer to a question on the presentation of that theme. Ie if we had really focussed on the supernatural in Hamlet in class that day, I would then plan an essay for ‘the presentation of the supernatural in hamlet’ that evening when all the ideas are fresh in my head.

Thank you! English is my favourite subject and I was also an Oxford English candidate - invited to interview and reapplying this year as a gap year student- so I spent a lot of time working on it. I would also say do not be disheartened if it takes you a while to get the essay style right. Especially with the comparison (if you are doing Edexcel) it is a jump from GCSE and it took me most of year 12 to really become confident with what I was supposed to be doing.

If you want extra advice or ever have any textually specific questions (depending on what texts you’re doing I may be able to help) then feel free to send me a message on the student room.

Best of luck, and, if you really want to get this A* and you work for it then you will!

Thankyou so so much , this is so kind !! Also , my exam board is OCR , and my school actually studies hamlet for component 1 .Additionally , my english literature teacher at gcse would always state that my vocalized analysis was a grade 9 , i just had to ensure that i was structuring my essays properly to ensure that they weren't deviating from my main points ;which is why i believe that if i get into the habit of regularly writing essays and essay plans I'll be able to familiarize myself to this . Moreover, my school dealt with my gcse's/ internalized examinations horrendously , for example we'd have on some days an exam every lesson , and even occasionally be sporadically notified for an exam the day before , meaning i had no time to do practice papers . Nevertheless, i most definitely should have started doing them far sooner , but I always felt quite confident with english lit , so I'd always leave revising till last minute , and instead focused on subjects i found harder .... which most certainly wasn't the best form of revision !

Additionally , that's SO impressive , and my fingers are crossed that you get your deserving place next year !! I aim to study law at cambridge , which is why I'd like to do well in english literature at a-level, as it's immensely applicable to the essay writing founded within law , and equally within the analytical aspects also !

Thankyou ever so much for your majorly helpful advice !!!

Spoiler

Hey! If it’s no Hastle, could you send over your essay plans for inspiration? I’m in yr12 and I’m studying, Othello, the great gatsby and the pre 1900 romance cluster poems!

thank you!

Hi, I hope this doesn’t sound abrupt but woah congratulations on getting an A*!
I’m just wondering how you accessed JSTOR - did your school subscribe to it or did you subscribe to it? I’m asking because, at the moment, I only have a free account and will have to pay for it after I read a certain number of pieces and was wondering whether there was a way to avoid this (I will speak to my English teacher after the half-term holidays).
Original post by sciencegcsesss
Hi, I hope this doesn’t sound abrupt but woah congratulations on getting an A*!
I’m just wondering how you accessed JSTOR - did your school subscribe to it or did you subscribe to it? I’m asking because, at the moment, I only have a free account and will have to pay for it after I read a certain number of pieces and was wondering whether there was a way to avoid this (I will speak to my English teacher after the half-term holidays).

Hey! What texts are you studying? We should help each other if we cover the same texts and exam board - i’m in yr12 and im covering Gatsby, Othello and the pre 1900 love through the ages poems :smile:

I’m aiming for an A*, as im side you are too, so if you have any specific resources, links, YouTubers etc, it would be beneficial for the both of us. I also have a few niche resources I found :smile:

Pm me your Snapchat username if you’re up for it xD
Original post by LoveIsAChemical
Hey! What texts are you studying? We should help each other if we cover the same texts and exam board - i’m in yr12 and im covering Gatsby, Othello and the pre 1900 love through the ages poems :smile:

I’m aiming for an A*, as im side you are too, so if you have any specific resources, links, YouTubers etc, it would be beneficial for the both of us. I also have a few niche resources I found :smile:

Oh, I also do AQA

Hi!

I have actually just made a similar thread to the OP now lol. Aw we don’t cover any of the same texts, but I do the OCR exam board and study Ibsen (drama) and Rossetti (poetry), the Gothic (Dracula and the Bloody Chamber), The Tempest (Shakespeare) and for coursework I will do A Streetcar Called Desire and Purple Hibiscus.

Regarding resources, I know JSTOR is free/paid but that’s it lol. What niche resources have you found?

Thanks but I don’t have SC and I think the student room prefers students to talk publicly to benefit other students.
Hi!

I have actually just made a similar thread to the OP now lol. Aw we don’t cover any of the same texts, but I do the OCR exam board and study Ibsen (drama) and Rossetti (poetry), the Gothic (Dracula and the Bloody Chamber), The Tempest (Shakespeare) and for coursework I will do A Streetcar Called Desire and Purple Hibiscus.

Regarding resources, I know JSTOR is free/paid but that’s it lol. What niche resources have you found?

Thanks but I don’t have SC and I think the student room prefers students to talk publicly to benefit other students.

Aw, your texts seem to be more suited to me!!

Yeah, I’m using JSTOR atm but there’s a YouTuber called ‘MrsABLiterature’ and theres tonnes more on YouTube! I’m also using Physics and Maths tutor (trust me on this on) and it honestly helped so much during my first couple weeks to get the basic jist and swing of things! Just type in the website and your text and there should be some resources!

Good luck to your future endeavours! We’re both going to smash a levels!

What other Alevels are you doing?
Aw, your texts seem to be more suited to me!!

Yeah, I’m using JSTOR atm but there’s a YouTuber called ‘MrsABLiterature’ and theres tonnes more on YouTube! I’m also using Physics and Maths tutor (trust me on this on) and it honestly helped so much during my first couple weeks to get the basic jist and swing of things! Just type in the website and your text and there should be some resources!

Good luck to your future endeavours! We’re both going to smash a levels!

What other Alevels are you doing?

Aw that’s a shame - I guess you could read the texts you like more and link them to your exam texts though?

Ooh thank you for those resources - I will definitely check them out.

Best of luck to you too! Let’s get those A*!!!!!!!

I am also taking History and French - what about you?
Aw that’s a shame - I guess you could read the texts you like more and link them to your exam texts though?

Ooh thank you for those resources - I will definitely check them out.

Best of luck to you too! Let’s get those A*!!!!!!!

I am also taking History and French - what about you?

Yeah, you’re right about that.

no problem! There’s no point in keeping resources to yourself, why not help others to also get A*? You’re putting in the same amount of work?

I’m also taking History! I’m also taking A Level Psych, Physics and EPQ :smile:
Yeah, you’re right about that.

no problem! There’s no point in keeping resources to yourself, why not help others to also get A*? You’re putting in the same amount of work?

I’m also taking History! I’m also taking A Level Psych, Physics and EPQ :smile:

Yeah.

Ooh yay! That’s a nice combination of subjects and good luck with that workload. Do you know what sort of topic you want to do your EPQ on?
Yeah.

Ooh yay! That’s a nice combination of subjects and good luck with that workload. Do you know what sort of topic you want to do your EPQ on?

Well, I’m aiming for law at Cambridge so my EPQ will undoubtedly be law-based. I’m lucky in the sense that I have a real driven passion for law, jurisprudence to be specific, so I already have a mini bibliography going :smile:
Well, I’m aiming for law at Cambridge so my EPQ will undoubtedly be law-based. I’m lucky in the sense that I have a real driven passion for law, jurisprudence to be specific, so I already have a mini bibliography going :smile:

That’s nice - good luck with your EPQ and Cambridge application!

Quick Reply

Latest