The Student Room Group

Eton College Orwell Award 2022

Has anyone else applied for the Orwell award at Eton college?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by student_anon12
Has anyone else applied for the Orwell award at Eton college?

Yes
Original post by Fudail
Yes

Nice. What subjects are you taking?
I have also applied and I am taking Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. However, I am quite apprehensive about my admission as I don't fall in the extremely disadvantaged category - I attend a good grammar school and my family earns a decent income but not enough to support private education for me. What about you? What subjects are you taking?

.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Schooldude123
I have also applied and I am taking Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. However, I am quite apprehensive about my admission as I don't fall in the extremely disadvantaged category - I attend a good grammar school and my family earns a decent income but not enough to support private education for me. What about you? What subjects are you taking?

.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}

Hey! I'm taking maths, further maths, physics, and computer science. From the little information I've seen online (from forums on this website etc.), I've gathered that they **usually** take the most disadvantaged students (which makes sense actually) but obviously I'm not entirely sure. I think that I'm in a similar position to you (ambiguity in 'decent' income) but I go to a pretty rubbish state school. Are you doing any preparation for the interviews? I'm not sure how I'm meant to be preparing other than just generally studying. Good luck for the future! :smile:
I haven't done any prep at all, don't really know what to prepare for and I have loads of mock exams so I'm busy with those right now anyway. What about you?

Original post by student_anon12
Hey! I'm taking maths, further maths, physics, and computer science. From the little information I've seen online (from forums on this website etc.), I've gathered that they **usually** take the most disadvantaged students (which makes sense actually) but obviously I'm not entirely sure. I think that I'm in a similar position to you (ambiguity in 'decent' income) but I go to a pretty rubbish state school. Are you doing any preparation for the interviews? I'm not sure how I'm meant to be preparing other than just generally studying. Good luck for the future! :smile:

Wait, correction am taking chemistry, biology, maths and economics, muddled economics with physics somehow .

Good grammar and a decent income..dont build your hopes up of an award.
I haven't done any prep at all, don't really know what to prepare for and I have loads of mock exams so I'm busy with those right now anyway. What about you?

Bit of a mix with me to be honest. I haven't done any preparation directly for the interviews and exams at all as of now but I'm revising stuff more or less daily. I'm probably going to start doing some preparation now actually. Hopefully I don't run out of motivation...
If you cant get motivated to try and get a place at Eton ,then maybe this isnt for you..believe me the Orwell Scholars I know are very motivated..
Hi

I've applied but I did not receive any Email to confirm this, is this the same for everyone or do I need to be worried?
Original post by Het Vora
Hi

I've applied but I did not receive any Email to confirm this, is this the same for everyone or do I need to be worried?

applications ended yesterday but I did not get an email either.
I have, I applied for further maths, computer science, physics and chemistry. Im pretty sure the scholarship has been put in place for people with high academic potential but in hard circumstances (Poor, subject to racism and other forms of discrimination, disabled, raised by a single parent e.t.c). These are all things me and my friend noticed at the open evening. I am hoping I am still able to get the scholarship though.
Original post by Oliver Knightley
applications ended yesterday but I did not get an email either.

Thanks.

I only applied yesterday night but I expected an Email to say they have received it so that I could ask my school to Email the reference
Original post by Het Vora
Thanks.

I only applied yesterday night but I expected an Email to say they have received it so that I could ask my school to Email the reference.

I applied yesterday night too, they probably have a manual process instead of sending an automated email to avoid people sending multiple applications. I’m sure we’ll get an email soon.
Reply 15

If you don’t mind me asking, where are you based around?
North West Kent, just outside Bexley which is in Greater London
but why are you asking?
Original post by Oliver Knightley
I applied yesterday night too, they probably have a manual process instead of sending an automated email to avoid people sending multiple applications. I’m sure we’ll get an email soon.

Fingers crossed
Reply 19
but why are you asking?

I'm just curious as to where people are applying from. Do you recon you'll get an invite to the interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending