The Student Room Group

Returning to an old job

left my old civil service job for a new one

New civil service job is not for me. Definitely, definitely not for me.

Old boss said the door is open if i want to return. And now I want to go back.

I have been at the new job for <1 month

What to do
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous1152
left my old civil service job for a new one

New civil service job is not for me. Definitely, definitely not for me.

Old boss said the door is open if i want to return. And now I want to go back.

I have been at the new job for <1 month

What to do

Do you not want to remind yourself why you applied for the new civil service job, was it pay or just the job itself??? But if you've said you already feel like in less than a month the new civil service job is not for you then while the door is still open at your old job I'd suggest you go back

Just be honest with your old and new manager that it hasn't worked out ..
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ash1234
Do you not want to remind yourself why you applied for the new civil service job, was it pay or just the job itself??? But if you've said you already feel like in less than a month the new civil service job is not for you then while the door is still open at your old job I'd suggest you go back

Just be honest with your old and new manager that it hasn't worked out ..

My old place was mostly great. I just had a couple of things i didnt like particularly much about my old job. But i think we have to realise that there may be a couple of things we all may not like about our jobs

It’s just that this new opportunity came along, and i thought it was too good to let it pass me by. I wasnt actively applying for jobs when i was at my old job because i was happy
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous1152
My old place was mostly great. I just had a couple of things i didnt like particularly much about my old job. But i think we have to realise that there may be a couple of things we all may not like about our jobs

It’s just that this new opportunity came along, and i thought it was too good to let it pass me by. I wasnt actively applying for jobs when i was at my old job because i was happy

I've been actively applying for jobs even though I am happy in my job because I didn't want to less good opportunities pass by. I don't think I'd be so lucky to be told by my old place they have doors open only because jobs need to be filled so your situation is good.

Yes from experience your not going to love a job fully and I guess the things you don't like they'll slowly grow on you...

I guess you could always apply again for another opportunity should it arise and interest you but go back to the old job while the offer is still open. From what people write on here about the Civil Service jobs, it seems like there's many internal opportunities.
Original post by Ash1234
I've been actively applying for jobs even though I am happy in my job because I didn't want to less good opportunities pass by. I don't think I'd be so lucky to be told by my old place they have doors open only because jobs need to be filled so your situation is good.

Yes from experience your not going to love a job fully and I guess the things you don't like they'll slowly grow on you...

I guess you could always apply again for another opportunity should it arise and interest you but go back to the old job while the offer is still open. From what people write on here about the Civil Service jobs, it seems like there's many internal opportunities.

Yeah, i was told they would happily have me back multiple times. Under normal circumstances, im sure they would have found a replacement when I handed in my notice, but due to specific reasons, a replacement cannot be found for a little while yet

I guess I just wanted to hear from others about how this works within the civil service because recruitment feels heavily regulated. It may not be the case of me just asking for my old position back and slotting in as if nothing ever happened. I guess I can only ask and see what happens

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending