The Student Room Group

Would you say 16 & 24 is a ok age gap?

Hiya! Can someone please answer this for me my partner is 24 and she is so worried that she’s gonna get loads of hate and grief off people who we know or people we don’t I’m more of I don’t give a person when it comes to others but I’m also quite mature I have a little girl myself,her father isn’t involved but my current partner is very helpful when it comes to her and they have grown such a strong bond in the past few months I’m 17 in dec and she’s 25 in april,both are family’s are fine with it,mine just say “at least she can’t get you pregnant but is it legal for us to be together? x
It's legal, but super super weird. I'm 18 and I see 16 year olds as children even though they're only 2 years below me. Major red flag I'd run away as quickly as possible. Sounds like a potential case of grooming too.
It’s like a kid from school dating a person who has done uni maybe masters and doing job. BIG DIFFERENCE
Reply 3
You aren't mature if, as a young teen, you've already been involved with someone who wasn't committed and got pregnant; not denigrating the child or your bond, just that you are hardly in a position financially and education-/career-wise to be looking after a baby at 16.

You are still a child yourself and have other things you should be concentrating on than getting being with a much older partner. The fact that the family response is only about her not getting you pregnant isn't complimentary and doesn't say she is a nice person!
It is legal. The age of consent in the UK is 16, so as long as she isn't a teacher/police officer/doctor or otherwise in a position of trust, it's legally fine.
However, I would not at ALL trust a 24 year old who is willing to date a 16 year old. I'm 20 and I simply could not date a 16 year old.
You are a child and she is an adult. There is too much that could go wrong, too much opportunity for her to take advantage.
You should really consider why it is she's dating you, a child who is still in school (I assume, or at least in some form of education or training) and not someone her own age.
It's less the age gap itself that's the issue (my dad and step mum have a similar age gap) and more about the significant difference in maturity and where you are in life and what your priorities are, and how easy it could potentially be for her to take advantage or for the relationship to turn very toxic.
I would strongly consider getting out of that relationship asap.
It is fine- as long as nothing illegal is going on, everything is consensual and both people are happy together.
Assuming that the older person is not employed in a specific position of trust role being in a relationship is legal in the uk as you are
both above the minimum age of sexual consent

I'm only attracted to guys older than me and date with a minimum age gap of 15 years.
Oldest guys I dated as a 16-17 year old were in their 50s and 60s.
Factors like attraction, personality, shared ambitions and compatible lifestyles tend to be more relevant to happy relationships than age gaps between couples.
Reply 7
Original post by chloenix
It's legal, but super super weird. I'm 18 and I see 16 year olds as lol…. even though they're only “2” years below me.

Your literally only two if not 1 year apart depending on mouths lol. Stop thinking so highly of yourself. You are both adolescents nothing close to a actual child but literally crossing over to being much like an adult.
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending