The Student Room Group

Uni house mates

How do I deal with rude housemates? And tell them I want to move out next yr?
Are you a first year? If so you'd move out next year and can go to other people naturally anyway. How are they rude? it might be easier to just ignore them. Its early in the year so unless its really bad I personally wouldn't say much as I wouldn't want to make the living situation unbearable next year. If you have other friends id recommend spending time with them instead of in your house. I would just be like im looking to move in with 'this person..' etc and do it naturally. No need to make it a bid 'im moving out because you re rude' thing as that could cause more issues
Reply 2
I’m in my second year. They’re extremely messy, even when my parents were here twice they complained. There’s food wrappers and tins everywhere, the sink would be very full and it’s small so it’s hard to wash my stuff up, there would be left over food on the kitchen counters for days, no one bothers emptying the bins or cleaning the floors. Few days ago I cleaned the whole downstairs myself and that’s the last time I’m doing it because im not supposed to clean after them, but it got so bad I was about to shout at everyone. Once my housemates asked me if I needed anything from the shops because i was too ill to go out, and they forgot the list which only had like 4 small things for me and toilet paper for us. They didn’t even bother calling me or messaging me what was on the list. I was extremely ill so there were things I needed that day.

It’s mainly this one girl who’s making it’s hard for me to live here. I feel like I’m not being treated the same. This one girl who I’m just going to call Ellie has been very rude and unfair. She’s that girl who enjoys watching other people fail and she even admits that she doesn’t care about anyone. I’m very respectful and I care about other people hence why I asked if everyone’s okay for my bf to stay over because i didn’t want anyone to feel awkward and I wanted to make sure. It was only for two nights so we could go to our best friends bday party. Ellie sent a rude message back saying he’s only allowed to stay the night of the bday party, but what would be the point of spending money on train just to be allowed to be here for one night and not have a full day for me and my bf to spend together, I rarely see him.She said how my bf is a stranger and that she only knows his name and that she doesn’t want him to stay at our house every weekend even though I didn’t say he was going to because he’s always working and rarely gets days off.

But the thing is… our guy housemates gf who we don’t know a single thing about only her name, stayed over for a whole week, she arrived on a Friday and my bf was going to leave on that Friday but because of Ellie causing so many issues we had to sadly not go to our best friends bday. Ellie even said how she’s glad my bf wasn’t staying over because she would’ve felt like a 5th wheel when our mates gf stayed over. How selfish is that!

Ellie is extremely messy she leaves her stuff in the living room or the kitchen all the time. She had like 3 people over on a Sunday night and they drank mine and our housemates alcohol without asking. I got angry because I don’t want strangers drinking my alcohol especially when everyone’s been very ill recently in the UK. They all were being soo loud and playing music and she didn’t even care. She didn’t clean the mess for about 4 days, there were bottles out, sticky table and kitchen counters because of spilled drinks , glasses and shot glasses in the sink.

We are adults and I don’t want to live with messy, difficult people, I want a positive uni experience, I’m sick of people like her and I’m sick of the mess everyone makes, I’m even embarrassed to have people over. I got the smallest room in the house and I need more space, I feel so claustrophobic in my room. Before moving in there were two rooms left for me and Ellie to decide who gets the bigger room because our two housemates had theirs decided, and I had good reasons to why I should get the bigger room, and her reason was that’s she’s got too many clothes so she needs the bigger room, that’s such a stupid reason. I’m a fashion student, I wouldn’t even use that as an excuse to why I should get a bigger room, and her closet is half empty it’s not like she was going to lay her clothes on the floor, that’s a dumb reason to give to why you deserve a bigger room.
Original post by Krissy200.
How do I deal with rude housemates? And tell them I want to move out next yr?

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you've got some rude housemates.

I think the best thing to do in your situation is to just be open and honest about how you feel, sometimes people don't know they're being rude unless they are told. It's often not the best idea to retaliate or to be rude back, but just being open and honest about how you're feeling is a really good idea.

Are you living in halls? You could get into contact with your Residential Advisor about how you could approach the situation and they could offer you some really helpful advice.

Good luck :smile:

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Reply 4
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you've got some rude housemates.

I think the best thing to do in your situation is to just be open and honest about how you feel, sometimes people don't know they're being rude unless they are told. It's often not the best idea to retaliate or to be rude back, but just being open and honest about how you're feeling is a really good idea.

Are you living in halls? You could get into contact with your Residential Advisor about how you could approach the situation and they could offer you some really helpful advice.

Good luck :smile:

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.

Hi,

We all lived together before in our student flats last yr but we decide we wanted just us 4 to move in together because we got along the most and there were problems with other people in our flat being too messy, but turns out they are extremely lazy themselves. I hate being honest with them because if I get a crap reaction then it’s going to make things awkward and I live with them. I’m literally the oldest by few months and I feel like I should be the grown up here and tell what they do is wrong etc but I feel so small when I’m here but only when Ellie is around. She literally kills the mood. My bf stayed over two weeks ago for two night and I told them week before and I didn’t ask if it was okay I just said he’s staying over, because if everyone else is allowed to have people over or stay the night then so should I, I also pay rent.

Yesterday, the small food bins that we have (which are great because they separate food with other waste), there was a leakage so the inside of the bin was slightly wet but I don’t get how it got wet when the food bin bags are very strong and very stretchy, it’s hard to make them rip and there was nothing in there that could’ve ripped the bag. I got a complaint about it because most of the stuff in the food bin was mine it was just gone bad fruit, and no one bothered cleaning it and everyone just put mouldy food next to the bin instead of cleaning the bin and putting a new bag in it. But I cleaned the whole downstairs and that was fine but washing a small food bin is a major issue and my fault, but when everyone else causes a mess that’s okay. I got called a b*tch as a joke and Ellie giggled, I didn’t find it funny and I flipped out.

Everyone’s telling me to move out becasue it’s just awful here and it’s making me miserable, and I don’t know what to say to them, they will need to find someone to replace me because it’s a 4 bedroom house and they aren’t thinking of moving out they want to live here another year because they said they’re too lazy to move out, but I want to secure a place for myself before telling them. A lot of people post that they need people to move into a student house and I rather live with 5-6 other girls in the same year as me and pay less rent.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Krissy200.
I’m in my second year. They’re extremely messy, even when my parents were here twice they complained. There’s food wrappers and tins everywhere, the sink would be very full and it’s small so it’s hard to wash my stuff up, there would be left over food on the kitchen counters for days, no one bothers emptying the bins or cleaning the floors. Few days ago I cleaned the whole downstairs myself and that’s the last time I’m doing it because im not supposed to clean after them, but it got so bad I was about to shout at everyone. Once my housemates asked me if I needed anything from the shops because i was too ill to go out, and they forgot the list which only had like 4 small things for me and toilet paper for us. They didn’t even bother calling me or messaging me what was on the list. I was extremely ill so there were things I needed that day.

It’s mainly this one girl who’s making it’s hard for me to live here. I feel like I’m not being treated the same. This one girl who I’m just going to call Ellie has been very rude and unfair. She’s that girl who enjoys watching other people fail and she even admits that she doesn’t care about anyone. I’m very respectful and I care about other people hence why I asked if everyone’s okay for my bf to stay over because i didn’t want anyone to feel awkward and I wanted to make sure. It was only for two nights so we could go to our best friends bday party. Ellie sent a rude message back saying he’s only allowed to stay the night of the bday party, but what would be the point of spending money on train just to be allowed to be here for one night and not have a full day for me and my bf to spend together, I rarely see him.She said how my bf is a stranger and that she only knows his name and that she doesn’t want him to stay at our house every weekend even though I didn’t say he was going to because he’s always working and rarely gets days off.

But the thing is… our guy housemates gf who we don’t know a single thing about only her name, stayed over for a whole week, she arrived on a Friday and my bf was going to leave on that Friday but because of Ellie causing so many issues we had to sadly not go to our best friends bday. Ellie even said how she’s glad my bf wasn’t staying over because she would’ve felt like a 5th wheel when our mates gf stayed over. How selfish is that!

Ellie is extremely messy she leaves her stuff in the living room or the kitchen all the time. She had like 3 people over on a Sunday night and they drank mine and our housemates alcohol without asking. I got angry because I don’t want strangers drinking my alcohol especially when everyone’s been very ill recently in the UK. They all were being soo loud and playing music and she didn’t even care. She didn’t clean the mess for about 4 days, there were bottles out, sticky table and kitchen counters because of spilled drinks , glasses and shot glasses in the sink.

We are adults and I don’t want to live with messy, difficult people, I want a positive uni experience, I’m sick of people like her and I’m sick of the mess everyone makes, I’m even embarrassed to have people over. I got the smallest room in the house and I need more space, I feel so claustrophobic in my room. Before moving in there were two rooms left for me and Ellie to decide who gets the bigger room because our two housemates had theirs decided, and I had good reasons to why I should get the bigger room, and her reason was that’s she’s got too many clothes so she needs the bigger room, that’s such a stupid reason. I’m a fashion student, I wouldn’t even use that as an excuse to why I should get a bigger room, and her closet is half empty it’s not like she was going to lay her clothes on the floor, that’s a dumb reason to give to why you deserve a bigger room.

People who live with me are like this, Best way to cope with them is by ignoring them and if its possible leaving the accommodation for somewhere better, that's what I have been trying to do.
Reply 6
Yea I’m waiting for like November time when everyone’s looking for housemates and I can like move in with other people but I’m scared that if I don’t find a new place, I’m going to be stuck with my now housemates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending