The Student Room Group

Choosing between studying Turkish or Hebrew alongside Law.

I am really confused. I have asked everyone around me for help to decide but they all have the same advice- Do what makes you happy. But both make me happy. I have a genuine, ardent interest in both. I already know the ins and outs of the Turkish language as I have been teaching myself (being part turk) and I find that I generally have an aptitude for learning languages as it is. If I were to take Turkish I would probably excel more in my course than if I were a new comer learning the language for the first time as I already have background knowledge. However, ever since I was a small child I've had a profound interest in Hebrew and I find the scriptures and culture of the Jewish people incredibly interesting. I would be in my absolute element. Career wise I am leaning more towards studying Turkish as I have always wanted to move to Turkey and make something of myself there but then I could do the same with Hebrew I guess, and that is why I am Studying Law alongside it so I can make a real difference. I consider myself a legal reformist- I feel it is about time that a radical change was brought to uproot the current justice system and flip it on its head and actually serve real justice to the people that deserve it. And I want to be a part of real change. But I can't do that when I am this confused. So anyone have any advice on what I should do other than ' Do what makes me happy '? I really need all the help I can get with this one as I have never been more confused or indecisive in my life with anything before, and I need to make my mind up quickly as I still have to write up my personal statement and submit my application before the deadline. Thanks in advance to anyone that reads this and doesn't think me a complete idiot for leaving this so late.
Reply 1
Maybe Turkish as you have a personal connection to it??? But honestly no one else can tell you, you kinda have to make the decisions yourself haha
Hi there,

It's worth making the right decision before you apply and if a little extra time is what you need, that's okay! It sounds like your personal statement will be quite easy to write as you're so passionate.
Right, so I thought of some things that might give you some better ideas of what to do:
1. Which language would you most benefit from some in-class teaching? Which language might you need that extra support with?
2. If you've already started learning Turkish, could you keep teaching it to yourself in your own time and take Hebrew? Do you have any opportunities to visit there, making it easier to learn?
3. This is one is probably more personal to you as you want to help people: which language would enable you to help a greater number of people or make a bigger impact on people's lives?

I hope these are somewhat helpful and good luck in whatever you do, it sound like you've got real drive and you're going to make a real difference!

-Daisy (Final year Spanish and Theatre student) :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

It's worth making the right decision before you apply and if a little extra time is what you need, that's okay! It sounds like your personal statement will be quite easy to write as you're so passionate.
Right, so I thought of some things that might give you some better ideas of what to do:
1. Which language would you most benefit from some in-class teaching? Which language might you need that extra support with?
2. If you've already started learning Turkish, could you keep teaching it to yourself in your own time and take Hebrew? Do you have any opportunities to visit there, making it easier to learn?
3. This is one is probably more personal to you as you want to help people: which language would enable you to help a greater number of people or make a bigger impact on people's lives?

I hope these are somewhat helpful and good luck in whatever you do, it sound like you've got real drive and you're going to make a real difference!

-Daisy (Final year Spanish and Theatre student) :smile:

Hi Daisy,
Thank you so much for your advice- it was incredibly helpful and it helped me to look at it from a different angle that I hadn't thought of before. So thank you so much! And I love how you are studying a language too. It made me feel like I was getting professional advice!
No problem! I hope you are able to make a decision and good luck for the future!

- Daisy (Final year Spanish and Theatre student) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending