The Student Room Group

pls help meee

hi i'm in year 10 doing gcse edexcel history. i got my grades back this week and i noticed that i got a 4 in history. the teacher is so bad; she didn't even give the assessments back so i couldn't see the feedback i need to improve. i don't learn much from her lessons either. i've begin contemplating if i regret choosing history now lmao. i mainly struggle doing 12 or 16 mark questions and how to structure my answers. so far, we've been learning about anglo saxon and normandy; william the conqueror and his leadership, the rebellions, feudal system etc. i genuinely don't know how to revise so pls suggest any resources i could use to help :frown:
Hi there!
So, learning facts is good but history is all about learning how causes affect each other and why people do what they do. What topics are you studying? I might be able to help?
Original post by squirrelmonkey12
Hi there!
So, learning facts is good but history is all about learning how causes affect each other and why people do what they do. What topics are you studying? I might be able to help?

hi! well last year we've been learning about medicine through time; galen and hippocrates, medieval hospitals, treatments, historic environment, public health act, major breakthroughs - robert koch, louis pasteur (germ theory), john snow, james simpson (anaesthetics), joseph lister (antiseptics). that's roughly what i can remember. then at the end of year 9 we were looking at anglo saxon and norman england 1060-1088 which is also what we're now learning at the start of year 10. we studied the battle of hastings, submission of the earls, marcher earldoms, how william established control, building castles, rebellions and revolts. she always sets 16 mark and 12 mark exam questions as homework and this is the feedback i've been given. she keeps pointing out that i need to structure it correctly, which i'm not sure how to do. i also have a headache reading her handwriting, it is such a pain.
history.jpeg hwk.jpeg
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ramyeonluvr
hi! well last year we've been learning about medicine through time; galen and hippocrates, medieval hospitals, treatments, historic environment, public health act, major breakthroughs - robert koch, louis pasteur (germ theory), john snow, james simpson (anaesthetics), joseph lister (antiseptics). that's roughly what i can remember. then at the end of year 9 we were looking at anglo saxon and norman england 1060-1088 which is also what we're now learning at the start of year 10. we studied the battle of hastings, submission of the earls, marcher earldoms, how william established control, building castles, rebellions and revolts. she always sets 16 mark and 12 mark exam questions as homework and this is the feedback i've been given. she keeps pointing out that i need to structure it correctly, which i'm not sure how to do. i also have a headache reading her handwriting, it is such a pain.
history.jpeg hwk.jpeg

im in year 10 and doing history im doing medicine through time i would to improve structure use PEEL for 12 markers explain a lot using things you learnt in class and link back to your answer and for the 16 markers use PEELJ adding your opinons at the each paragraph and also add an intro and conclusion. i will send pictures of some examples my teacher gave me later
Original post by n3vermind.
im in year 10 and doing history im doing medicine through time i would tookay improve structure use PEEL for 12 markers explain a lot using things you learnt in class and link back to your answer and for the 16 markers use PEELJ adding your opinons at the each paragraph and also add an intro and conclusion. i will send pictures of some examples my teacher gave me later

okay, thank you!! i'll just try to practice some exam questions and give them to my teacher to mark so i can see if there is any progress :smile:
history.jpeg hwk.jpeg

Hey sorry, I'm struggling to read her writing too!
Also, I don't think I did those topics unfortunately-I did Crime and Punishment!
But I can give you some general tips if you want with 12 and 16 markers? :-)
ah, yes please!! that'd be great, thank you :biggrin:
ah, yes please!! that'd be great, thank you :biggrin:

Ok. The main thing is to keep the structure simple. With all the dates and facts you need to learn, you really don't need another thing to stress about!
With the 12 marker, have three main points and order them the most important to the least important. It's always worth having a couple of sentences explaining why you think it's the most important before moving on to the evidence. With each paragraph, make your point, give the evidence and then explain what that evidence shows before linking back to the question.
With evidence, don't waste time trying to cram in every relevant fact you know. Just pick one or two with each paragraph-the ones that are the best in showing your point.

With 16 markers, don't spend too long on the intro: just quickly lay out your argument. You'll need a for and against. Put your weaker argument first, so when you get to the stronger argument later, you can explain why you're agreeing with that one. Aim to have 2 or 3 paragraphs (probably 2) on each side. In each paragraph, do the same thing as the 12-marker: Point, Evidence, Explain, Link.
With the conclusion, don't just re-write the introduction; try and rephrase what you've said. Also, try not to introduce any more points in the conclusion. The idea is, that by the time the examiner reaches your conclusion, they should already know what you're going to say.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending