The Student Room Group

Cambridge and GCSE mitigating circumstances

Hi I’d like to ask whether I’d stand a shot at Cambridge I had poor GCSES during the pandemic due to mental health (admitted to a hospital following a suicide attempt) but have high a level predictions (3a* and an a). I’ve heard Cambridge looks at GCSES less than Oxford but to what extent considering my atrocious performance at GCSE?
I'm sorry to hear that things have been so difficult. You could ask if your school or college could attach a letter explaining (not necessarily in detail) the situation (this is something that I discussed with my school at one point). Your a-level predictions are strong, and as you say cambridge tend to not look as closely at gcses as oxford. Do you meet the minimum gcse requirements for your course? I'd say that there's no harm in trying, the worse that would happen is you get rejected but someone has to get accepted and why not you? Going through what you have probably makes you a far more mature and well-rounded individual and remember your experiences don't define you - you do!
Reply 2
Original post by Purple43Monkey
I'm sorry to hear that things have been so difficult. You could ask if your school or college could attach a letter explaining (not necessarily in detail) the situation (this is something that I discussed with my school at one point). Your a-level predictions are strong, and as you say cambridge tend to not look as closely at gcses as oxford. Do you meet the minimum gcse requirements for your course? I'd say that there's no harm in trying, the worse that would happen is you get rejected but someone has to get accepted and why not you? Going through what you have probably makes you a far more mature and well-rounded individual and remember your experiences don't define you - you do!

Got an interview at Oxford for ancient and modern history, anything is possible :smile:
Original post by Awdabdalla
Got an interview at Oxford for ancient and modern history, anything is possible :smile:

I’m so pleased for you! Congratulations!!
Reply 4
I’m so pleased for you! Congratulations!!

Offer :smile:!
Original post by Awdabdalla
Offer :smile:!

WOW!!!!! Congratulations!!!! Don't ever let what's happened to you hold you back, you're incredible!! What subject are you doing?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
WOW!!!!! Congratulations!!!! Don't ever let what's happened to you hold you back, you're incredible!! What subject are you doing?

Ancient and modern history at St Anne’s:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending