The Student Room Group

3 or 4 A levels?

I am in Year 12, and taking Classical Greek, English Literature, History and Latin (plus an EPQ), hoping to read Classics at Uni (looking to apply to Oxford, + also Durham, St Andrews etc.).
Are there any benefits to continuing with 4 A levels next year?
I think if I dropped one, it would have to be Greek/Latin, but I also don't want to give up anything that could give me an advantage at University.
At the moment I'm enjoying all 4, and finding the workload fine (though I'm aware it will increase drastically!).
I would be grateful for any responses!
Original post by mandyelicup
I am in Year 12, and taking Classical Greek, English Literature, History and Latin (plus an EPQ), hoping to read Classics at Uni (looking to apply to Oxford, + also Durham, St Andrews etc.).
Are there any benefits to continuing with 4 A levels next year?
I think if I dropped one, it would have to be Greek/Latin, but I also don't want to give up anything that could give me an advantage at University.
At the moment I'm enjoying all 4, and finding the workload fine (though I'm aware it will increase drastically!).
I would be grateful for any responses!

See how you go nearer the end of year 12.
If you are struggling to decide which to drop, you could drop whichever you get the lowest grade in at the end of year 12.
If you want to study classics at uni, it can give you a bit of an edge to be studying both latin and greek at a level. Also if you enjoy these subjects, you'll find that sixth form will be much easier and you'll be far more motivated. From the sounds of it i'd say continue - as the previous commenter has said, you can always drop one at a later stage if you find your other subjects are suffering!
Also if you carry on, it might be mentioned in your ucas reference but that depends on your school/teacher (it's usually only a line or too so it's not that big of a deal)

Quick Reply

Latest