The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSc Social Science of the Internet (Oxford Internet Institute) 2022-23

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Folks, any updates on your application decisions?

I think all the decisions are done for at least a month. If you applied by the January deadline, I'd guess that you won't hear back until mid-March.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hello everyone. For January deadline fellow applicants, since it is now 3 weeks after the deadline and interviews usually happens 3 to 6 weeks after the deadline, I invite my fellow January deadline applicants to post if they have been invited to interview! Thank you! So far, no invite on my end!
Hello everyone. For January deadline fellow applicants, since it is now 3 weeks after the deadline and interviews usually happens 3 to 6 weeks after the deadline, I invite my fellow January deadline applicants to post if they have been invited to interview! Thank you! So far, no invite on my end!

Heads up that they don't appear to do interviews for full-time applicants (or at least they haven't for the last few years).
Has anyone come across a similar degree at another uni? The SSI seems quite unique but am just curious to know what people's fallback options are.
Has anyone come across a similar degree at another uni? The SSI seems quite unique but am just curious to know what people's fallback options are.

Edinburgh has a similar programme as well as LSE.
Edinburgh has a similar programme as well as LSE.

Is this the one you're referring to? I thought it was very data heavy compared to the broader focus on internet regulation at OII:

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Graduate/degree-programmes-2022/MSc-Media-and-Communications-Data-and-Society

Thanks for the ref to Edinburgh!
Is this the one you're referring to? I thought it was very data heavy compared to the broader focus on internet regulation at OII:

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Graduate/degree-programmes-2022/MSc-Media-and-Communications-Data-and-Society

Thanks for the ref to Edinburgh!

Yes, that is the LSE programme I am referring to.
Folks, I just realised that my chances of getting an offer is close to impossible. I apparently made a fatal error in my Statement of Purpose. I do not think I would be successful in my application anymore. So I am giving up. Still, good luck to everyone though!
Folks, I just realised that my chances of getting an offer is close to impossible. I apparently made a fatal error in my Statement of Purpose. I do not think I would be successful in my application anymore. So I am giving up. Still, good luck to everyone though!

Always good to hold out some hope :smile: Don't be too hard on yourself
Reply 89

It might not be as big a mistake as you think it is- keep the faith!
(edited 2 years ago)
I now wish I had applied before the November deadline. The waiting is unbearable and it isn't even February yet :s-smilie:
Did anyone else apply for the DPhil by the January deadline, have you heard anything?

I am in the same boat for my DPhil application. I have a typo. I am hoping they are willing to look past it.
Reply 93
Original post by Imjusthereidk
I am in the same boat for my DPhil application. I have a typo. I am hoping they are willing to look past it.

I am sure they would happily look past the odd typo in anyone's application- we all do it (academics included)!

Having said that, I haven't reread my application materials just in case I suddenly find one haha
Another DPhil applicant here. Submitted a day before Jan deadline. Has anyone heard anything about interview?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 95
Hey all,

Good news! I got in! (Part-time, January application).

Feels a little bittersweet as now begins the much harder job of finding funding, but staying optimistic!

Best of luck to all!
(edited 2 years ago)
Congrats! How did you hear (email, portal) and when? And when did you submit your application?

Original post by sb_247
Hey all,

Good news! I got in! (Part-time, January application).

Feels a little bittersweet as now begins the much harder job of finding funding, but staying optimistic!

Best of luck to all!
Are there any hints / ways to predict whether or not a decision is about to be handed down for your application? I remember people discussion document upload button disappearing?
Reply 98
Thanks!

I heard via email today and applied in the second/third week of December for the Jan deadline.

Not sure about the portal/upload button :s
Original post by sb_247
Thanks!

I heard via email today and applied in the second/third week of December for the Jan deadline.

Not sure about the portal/upload button :s

That's great! Congrats again.

I applied for full-time on Dec. 7 for Jan deadline and have yet to hear back.

Did you interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending