The Student Room Group

Is taking a gap year a good idea?

I am not doing that well mentally, a-levels were a lot more pressure than I thought and I am not sure if I won't be too burned out to put my 100% into a uni degree.
Is taking a gap year where you just work like a retail job just so I don't have a gap in my CV but I am also not burning myself out a good idea?
You can take a gap year for many reasons and universities do not discriminate against gap years so go for it! You could also apply for deferred entry to reduce the stress associated with uni applications.
take a gap year if your family will support you financially to travel and do fun things or simply mentally.
You don't always have to pick up a retail, bar or hospitality job during a gap year! I mean, it's a great idea to have something part-time to keep you going financially unless you have family who will support you.

If you're worried about gaps in your CV during a gap year, I would definitely recommend volunteering! Even with travel restrictions due to Covid, there's so many UK based schools and charities that are in need of volunteers, and so many worthwhile causes.

Quick Reply

Latest