The Student Room Group

How do you find a job role suitably matched to your values?

When applying for jobs how do you find a school that matches some of your values. Besides research and visiting when and where possible?

I’m currently looking for a new nqt position as my contract is coming to an end I’m wondering how to get the best out of the application process and how to stand out and find a school I truly find matches my values. It won’t always be perfect but any tips and advice is appreciated!
Reply 1
Not a teacher however I suspect you could do the following;
Check in with old Uni PGCE friends and see how they found their school experience.
Stalk on LinkedIn for the school you are looking to apply for & network with the person or just see how long they've been in their position there
Are there any other forums like an alternative to the TES forum (I know it's shut down) for teachers to rate schools etc?
Application process- ask questions, research some good facts that stand out about the school, see the enrichment activities, check their socials as alot of schools are quite active on social media uploading content relating to each class.

Like any other non teaching job you sometimes can't judge if you'll ever enjoy it or match their values or working culture even if you attend countless interviews, virtual visits or walk around etc.

Just go with your gut if the school feels right, I appreciate a teaching job is not like any other job where you can just leave so easily but then I guess you could supply teach that could get you experience in a few schools?
(edited 2 years ago)
As the above poster has said, speaking to friends from your training year and other teachers you trust is a good start.

Doing supply is also a really good way to get a true insight as to what a school is like, and it also gives you a foot in the door as the department will get to see how competent you are. My friend has been doing supply for the past couple of years (as she needed a flexible schedule) and now that she is applying for full-time roles, she has a really good idea of some places she definitely doesn't want to work.

The interview is also an opportunity to find out of the school's values match yours, as they will certainly ask if you have any questions for them. You may also have the opportunity to have a quick conversation with other members of the department during the interview day, which can be enlightening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending