The Student Room Group

Security Clearance UK

So basically I want to apply to BAE systems etc and study aerospace engineering I know you need SC to get the job. The thing is though I have been a British citizen in the UK since birth since i was born in London and lived my whole life here. I also have an Iranian passport since my parents etc are all from there. Will I be refused security clearance for being dual national or no. Any person that used to be in my situation in the uk or have any info on this I will gratefully appreciate any help on this issue.
Reply 1
Official guidance is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels/national-security-vetting-clearance-levels

The question was asked here:
https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2020-09-17/91736/

In short, "it depends":

The Ministry of Defence is obligated under the Government’s Security Policy Framework to ensure personnel with access to sensitive information are appropriately vetted. We pass on this obligation to our contractors through relevant contractual security conditions which restrict the transfer of SECRET and above SECRET information to employees who hold the right level of security clearance where this is required for the role.

British citizens who hold dual nationality are in principle eligible for employment by the Ministry of Defence and its defence contractors subject to achieving the appropriate level of security clearance. Due to the sensitive nature of the work concerned or International Treaty obligations there are circumstances in which dual nationals cannot be employed. This is likely to include posts within BAE Systems and AWE.

PS: This post would have been more appropriate in the career section (meaning that it is more likely to have found people who may have known what is the correct answer).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 0le
Official guidance is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels/national-security-vetting-clearance-levels

The question was asked here:
https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2020-09-17/91736/

In short, "it depends":

PS: This post would have been more appropriate in the career section (meaning that it is more likely to have found people who may have known what is the correct answer).

Yeah thanks I’ll check those links out now. I didn’t know the career section would have been better and don’t know how to change it to that section if possible now.
Reply 3
Original post by Reza_129
Yeah thanks I’ll check those links out now. I didn’t know the career section would have been better and don’t know how to change it to that section if possible now.

No, do not worry about changing it now. It was just a point so that if you need to ask a similar career question in the future, that is usually the best place.
Reply 4
Original post by Reza_129
So basically I want to apply to BAE systems etc and study aerospace engineering I know you need SC to get the job. The thing is though I have been a British citizen in the UK since birth since i was born in London and lived my whole life here. I also have an Iranian passport since my parents etc are all from there. Will I be refused security clearance for being dual national or no. Any person that used to be in my situation in the uk or have any info on this I will gratefully appreciate any help on this issue.

There is no reason why you wouldn't be security cleared. I don't know what the form is like now, but when I did it 15 years or so ago, there were questions like "Have you ever been involved in espionage," etc etc. The security controller who took me through it said that generally speaking they have more problems with people who don't declare things than people who do. If you give all the information they need and you genuinely don't pose a threat which obviously is true, then go for it. It does take a while though which makes for a mind numbingly dull first 3 months or so.

Good luck!

PS - be thankful it isn't DV clearance. That takes up to 6+ months and involves whole day interrogations / I mean interviews!
Original post by hotpud
There is no reason why you wouldn't be security cleared. I don't know what the form is like now, but when I did it 15 years or so ago, there were questions like "Have you ever been involved in espionage," etc etc. The security controller who took me through it said that generally speaking they have more problems with people who don't declare things than people who do. If you give all the information they need and you genuinely don't pose a threat which obviously is true, then go for it. It does take a while though which makes for a mind numbingly dull first 3 months or so.

Good luck!

PS - be thankful it isn't DV clearance. That takes up to 6+ months and involves whole day interrogations / I mean interviews!

Thanks for this amazing input definitely gave me the confidence i needed.
Reply 6
Original post by username5266980

am in this same position, have you got the job ?

Quick Reply

Latest