The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think it's ranked joing 6th with Liverpool in The Times Good University Guide, so it's likely to be fairly competitive. Although I didn't apply there as it's too far away! So I'm not the best person to be answering :smile:
I think it's quite popular but their average offer isn't that high (it's BBB, right?) so I would imagine that it's not REALLY competitive, otherwise the average offer would be higher. At a guess :smile:
Reply 3
fasterpurple
I think it's quite popular but their average offer isn't that high (it's BBB, right?) so I would imagine that it's not REALLY competitive, otherwise the average offer would be higher. At a guess :smile:

Yeah, that's what I'd say. It's a really good uni so I'm suprised that the grade requirements are relatively low. That almost convinced me to apply there!
I've heard their residencial facilities are near non-existent, though - I really wouldn't want to go into private sector accommodation in the first year :/
Reply 5
fasterpurple
I've heard their residencial facilities are near non-existent, though - I really wouldn't want to go into private sector accommodation in the first year :/

In the end I just didnt apply there because I thought it was just too far away, and the course didnt look the most interesting
~Sam~
Yeah, that's what I'd say. It's a really good uni so I'm suprised that the grade requirements are relatively low. That almost convinced me to apply there!

Last year Edinburgh lowered all the grade requirements in its prospectus significantly to encourage applications from people who wouldn't normally apply (hoping to correct their poor state school record). But it remains one of the most overapplied Universities in the UK, so even though they say you only need BBB you should take that with a pinch of salt.
fasterpurple

They guarantee first year accommodation for anyone from outside of Edinburgh.
Reply 8
i've seen the guardian ranking for edinburgh and it scored pretty low (i think it came out 30th or something, way behind unis like nottingham, bristol, sussex, UCL, kings and some less highly ranked overall ones - so i get the impression that it's not really particularly respected for english)...despite the fact that they are supposedly rated 'excellent' for teaching and have either 5 or 5* (i forget which) for research.
I find this quite off-putting because I have a place at bristol (which is rated really highly for english) so i can't really choose between the two. do you think it matters at all how highly ranked a university is in the specific subject? i'm aware that bristol + eburgh are about equal overall. i know rankings don't matter that much - but i'd feel sort of ridiculous accepting a place somewhere when i have an opportunity to go somewhere better that also seems like a nice uni, if you see what i mean. any thoughts on the matter?
Reply 9
at the end of the day, just do which course u could see ure self enjoying for 3 years, in a place u like. Don't rely on rankings, either way, ull get a good degree out of it.
Reply 10
sophieD
at the end of the day, just do which course u could see ure self enjoying for 3 years, in a place u like. Don't rely on rankings, either way, ull get a good degree out of it.

Good advice :smile:
Seriously, they're both excellent unis, go to the one you like the best. Look at the courses and see which one you prefer, visit the unis and the cities to see which you could see yourself living in. As you said, Edinburgh was given 'Excellent' for English so I imagine it's pretty damn good! Sometimes, the ones that are known for English, have lower ratings than the ones that are less well known. Soton was given excellent and 5* but no-one goes on about that for english
Reply 11
I think that it depends on where you are in the country and what type of school you go to as to whether Edinburgh is competitive or not. At my school (independant and in the north) we have NEVER had a student get in for a subject other than the sciences. If you read the admissions policy you'll see what their aims are, and this definitely affects your chance of getting in. It seems to be positive discrimination gone a little too far.
xyz123
i've seen the guardian ranking for edinburgh and it scored pretty low (i think it came out 30th or something, way behind unis like nottingham, bristol, sussex, UCL, kings and some less highly ranked overall ones - so i get the impression that it's not really particularly respected for english)...despite the fact that they are supposedly rated 'excellent' for teaching and have either 5 or 5* (i forget which) for research.
I find this quite off-putting because I have a place at bristol (which is rated really highly for english) so i can't really choose between the two. do you think it matters at all how highly ranked a university is in the specific subject? i'm aware that bristol + eburgh are about equal overall. i know rankings don't matter that much - but i'd feel sort of ridiculous accepting a place somewhere when i have an opportunity to go somewhere better that also seems like a nice uni, if you see what i mean. any thoughts on the matter?

Edinburgh are 6th for English, according to The Times
Reply 13
argh! i hate these rankings...everywhere you look they're different! okay, that's it settled then, i'm not going to make my decision in accordance with rankings.....!

Latest

Trending

Trending