The Student Room Group

Failing First Year of A-levels

Basically im taking Business, Computer Science and History and my first report came out and my predicted grades are something like DDE, at this point i feel helpless and dont know what to do. Is there any advise someone can give and is there even a chance to turn my grades around and achieve higher grades.
(edited 2 years ago)
theres enough time to change them around, youre only in year 12 but i suggest you start revising from now especially on your weaker areas and just work hard and stick to a good revision routine
Original post by wiZabi
Basically im taking Business, Computer Science and History and my first report came out and my predicted grades are something like DDE, at this point i feel helpless and dont know what to do. Is there any advise someone can give and is there even a chance to turn my grades arround and achieve higher grades.

Hiiiiiii, I'm in year 12 too. First of all, I found that A levels is very hard when you are not used to the correct revision techniques.
Try active recall methods: use flashcards and spaced repetition. Use Anki flashcards. If you've never come across these terms I recommend watching this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE&list=PL7BImOT2srcEPwr4hSVrqvWYh1SV7LBEx&index=2
I got 8 nines at GCSE cause of his techniques.
I also think that you shouldn't just be revising for tests. You should be making revision resources at the end of each lesson (if possible) and consolidating what you have learned after lessons. I recommend 2 hours of consolidation per day (don't worry this includes homework and all subjects combined). I'm getting A's at the minute by the way.

Also, if you are struggling with the motivation to revise...... you're not. Its a myth. Even though its hard, when you actually get up on the desk and open the textbook, that's when the motivation kicks in. You can't wait for the motivation to suddenly come to you. However, if you will still struggle, it helps to visualize where you want to see yourself in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest