The Student Room Group

Advice on promotion

I’ve been working for a retail store as a sales associate for the past 3 months. I didn’t apply for it, I actually got recruited through a website. The store was supposed to be temporary but now got extended so the company is looking for a supervisor.

It’s a small store so for the past 3 months, me and the other 3 employees have been running the store without any managers. I am one of the key holders and we all have a lot of responsibility which we have been taking care of really good.

When they decided to extend the store, they asked me if I wanted to stay for longer. I am aware one of the other employees didn’t get another offer and the other one did, but didn’t accept it.

I have found their job advert on LinkedIn posted 5 days ago and it says 0 applicants. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to contact the managers and let them know I would be open to be a supervisor? I’m debating it as they haven’t offered it to me so they might not think I’m suited for it. However, as I said, we all have been managing the store by ourselves since it opened and the duties listed on the advert are the same as the ones I’ve been doing.

Should I try it out? I guess worst case scenario, they will just say no. Pls help
Reply 1
I understand what you are saying about not being asked, but put that aside and go for it! You've got relevant experience, and you'd probably feel worse not applying than not getting the role; plus it's not like it's your only option, you've still got your own sales job.

Quick Reply

Latest