The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Parents of Durham University 2022 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Anyone else waiting to hear from history? Applied in October and still not heard?

Still waiting for History joint honours with Spanish. 🙄
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Any responses today? At all?

Is it still a bit early in the day? Usually start around 5.30 pm judging by comments on the threads.
Original post by Gemloubell
Is it still a bit early in the day? Usually start around 5.30 pm judging by comments on the threads.

Ah yes. Sorry. 🤞
Any responses today? At all?

my son had a psychology offer yesterday, very relieved after waiting since October

me too mate. nothing at all yet don’t know if i’m doing something wrong. I’m happy year i’ve given my grades and it’s still been over 6 months. They take the piss
gap*

My son applied In November continues to get the email we are still working on applications. He has 3 other strong offers, I think he has reached the point that his A levels start in a few weeks and is no longing considering Durham as an option. Durham was his absolute first choice but like us he is appalled at the lack of action communication from the department he applied to.

Bye the way that’s the classics and ancient history department, he is fortunate to have offers from Exeter, Warwick and St. Andrews.
My son applied In November continues to get the email we are still working on applications. He has 3 other strong offers, I think he has reached the point that his A levels start in a few weeks and is no longing considering Durham as an option. Durham was his absolute first choice but like us he is appalled at the lack of action communication from the department he applied to.

Bye the way that’s the classics and ancient history department, he is fortunate to have offers from Exeter, Warwick and St. Andrews.

I hear you! My daughter was an early applicant as well because she applied to Cambridge, was rejected after interview. Also holding offers for Exeter and Warwick (and Kings). She's determined to hang in there now and wait it out. But I do understand why some of the applicants would rather withdraw. Don't think we've had the " we're still working on it" email since April Fools Day! Good luck with it all 🙂
Original post by henryn20
me too mate. nothing at all yet don’t know if i’m doing something wrong. I’m happy year i’ve given my grades and it’s still been over 6 months. They take the piss

You might as well wait it now, but I get what you're saying, very frustrating!
Are there any standard offers for History out there? We are losing it here!

He sounds very wise and has great offers. A levels are tough in themselves and he may well do better to concentrate on landing his grades. Good luck for the exams.
My daughter also rejected by Oxford post interview, has offers from other good universities but was waiting to hear back from Durham. No news at all from Durham so now decided to firm elsewhere. It’s such a shame that Durham couldn’t have made their decisions before Exams start, I’m biased but they’ve lost a brilliant student.
My daughter also rejected by Oxford post interview, has offers from other good universities but was waiting to hear back from Durham. No news at all from Durham so now decided to firm elsewhere. It’s such a shame that Durham couldn’t have made their decisions before Exams start, I’m biased but they’ve lost a brilliant student.

Well somewhere else has gained a bright young lady and a decisive one.
I have found this forum really helpful and supportive during my YPs Uni application journey - sadly he was rejected earlier this week for ComSci at DU so I feel now is the time to no longer be checking in every day to see the latest news. However, I do still have one thought in my head, having seen so many bright YP rejected this year, how many places were there actually available to them? Have just looked at the "Spreadsheet" and find it astonishing that kids with predicted 4 x A*s are rejected - my YP was told by DU that his reason for no offer was that predictions weren't high enough (4 xA*s, 9999999998) which really is just ridiculous - what do they want for goodness sake?
I genuinely believe that the reality was there just weren't any places available for them - feels so unfair to our kids - the injustice of applying for places that don't actually exist plus being made to wait over 6 months to be given such a flimsy reason for rejection, is just absolute garbage Any other year and the story would have been very different I'm sure - I guess we'll never know but I'm seriously considering submitting a FOI to enquire how many CompSci places were available for new applicants this year - reality is I probably won't submit that, just feel cheated for my YP at the mo!

For those of you and your YP that are still waiting, I wish them all well and hope that they hear very soon- it's been a tough time for our kids
Ucas stats on accepted applicants for this cycle will be available in January 2023.
It would only show offers made overall and acceptances (basically an unconditional firm applicant when ucas close the cycle in October) by broad subject group.
Original post by PQ
Ucas stats on accepted applicants for this cycle will be available in January 2023.
It would only show offers made overall and acceptances (basically an unconditional firm applicant when ucas close the cycle in October) by broad subject group.

Thanks - but will this show specifically all those that were deferrals from last year ie how many remaining places were available to the 2022 applicants?
Thanks - but will this show specifically all those that were deferrals from last year ie how many remaining places were available to the 2022 applicants?

No
It shows acceptances in the specific cycle concerned
https://www.ucas.com/data-and-analysis/undergraduate-statistics-and-reports/ucas-undergraduate-sector-level-end-cycle-data-resources-2021/2021-entry-provider-level-end-cycle-data-resources
That’s the 2021 stats
Select Durham in the dropdown, HECoS subject group and UK to show the trends up to last year
38592779-7CD8-4C97-A1DE-E40A8C9ACC3C.png
There wasn’t that much increase in 2021 for CS.
Original post by PQ
No
It shows acceptances in the specific cycle concerned
https://www.ucas.com/data-and-analysis/undergraduate-statistics-and-reports/ucas-undergraduate-sector-level-end-cycle-data-resources-2021/2021-entry-provider-level-end-cycle-data-resources
That’s the 2021 stats
Select Durham in the dropdown, HECoS subject group and UK to show the trends up to last year
38592779-7CD8-4C97-A1DE-E40A8C9ACC3C.png
There wasn’t that much increase in 2021 for CS.

Thanks again - the increase in the subject isn't the issue - if a large proportion of YP choose to defer for the year, then it would drive down the number of available places for this year's cohort - as you said, number of deferrals aren't reflected in the figures.
I have found this forum really helpful and supportive during my YPs Uni application journey - sadly he was rejected earlier this week for ComSci at DU so I feel now is the time to no longer be checking in every day to see the latest news. However, I do still have one thought in my head, having seen so many bright YP rejected this year, how many places were there actually available to them? Have just looked at the "Spreadsheet" and find it astonishing that kids with predicted 4 x A*s are rejected - my YP was told by DU that his reason for no offer was that predictions weren't high enough (4 xA*s, 9999999998) which really is just ridiculous - what do they want for goodness sake?
I genuinely believe that the reality was there just weren't any places available for them - feels so unfair to our kids - the injustice of applying for places that don't actually exist plus being made to wait over 6 months to be given such a flimsy reason for rejection, is just absolute garbage Any other year and the story would have been very different I'm sure - I guess we'll never know but I'm seriously considering submitting a FOI to enquire how many CompSci places were available for new applicants this year - reality is I probably won't submit that, just feel cheated for my YP at the mo!

For those of you and your YP that are still waiting, I wish them all well and hope that they hear very soon- it's been a tough time for our kids

So sorry that your YP hasn’t been offered a place and hoping they have some good offers from elsewhere. The link shows the applications for 2021 and there were almost 10 applicants for every place for Computer Science so extremely competitive. Like you, I can’t believe so many outstanding students haven’t received offers. As we all know, there has been grade inflation with the TAGs and we don’t know at this stage how many places have gone to students who already have their results. And looking at the main thread a lot of applicants are feeling that a Gap year may be a good option for them so this situation will knock on in to 2023. This is my first experience of a child going through this process so no idea what it should be like but it does seem as though these past couple of years have been tough. I am sure that as much as it is extremely disappointing now, things will work out just fine. Good luck.
https://www.durham.ac.uk/media/durham-university/study/study---undergraduate/how-to-apply/documents/Applications-per-Place-2020-21.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest