Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It was quite difficult werent it? nuthin on testing for carbonyl compounds!

ReputationRep:
    I've failed miserably. I didn't revise and as a result couldn't answer much of the questions. Damn. I've figured I've lost around 36 marks. AAAARRRGHHHH!!! To make matters even worse, it didn't seem that difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I found most of it ok but i got part of the amino question wrong and failed the nmr question!

ReputationRep:
    Is this the Salters spec?

ReputationRep:
    No its OCR

ReputationRep:
    i thought overall it was ok, nothing on the new bits of the syllabus like making acyl chlorides. It twisted the nmr question a bit from the normal, just explain it, cos u had to compare 2, and D2O was used and the bonding in the benzene intermediate was hard. In essence tho, if u had looked at the past papers and mark schemes it was like most others.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, my friend was trying to tell my what nmr is the other day. Bet she'll be pleased that came up...

ReputationRep:
    What did you all put for the intermediate pie bonding Q about how many electrons in the ring or something?

ReputationRep:
    i got 6 for benzene and 4 for the intermediete, guessed them though

For the optical isomer question, where u had to draw the mirror images of an amino acid, did you have to use one of the examples given at the start of the question, because i just suck in CH3 as my R group. I swear it sed using an amino acid example, not using one of the given examples, but people tell me different

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, im on OCR Salters and we did a paper this morning, which included questions on Amino acids and NMR, so from above i thought that might be what you were talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharma)
    i got 6 for benzene and 4 for the intermediete, guessed them though

For the optical isomer question, where u had to draw the mirror images of an amino acid, did you have to use one of the examples given at the start of the question, because i just suck in CH3 as my R group. I swear it sed using an amino acid example, not using one of the given examples, but people tell me different
    I'm pretty sure it said using examples from earlier in the question.

ReputationRep:
    Was it me or on the syndiotactic Q wasn't the arrangement in fig 5.1 isotactic cos all the substituents were on one side of the carbon chain? I think that they referred to it as atactic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlz)
    Was it me or on the syndiotactic Q wasn't the arrangement in fig 5.1 isotactic cos all the substituents were on one side of the carbon chain? I think that they referred to it as atactic?
    Yeah it was atactic....although, yes, the side-chains were on one side of the polymer chain, but it wasnt a regular arrangement, like isotatic, it was just random.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.