The Student Room Group

Driving family car vs own car

Right so passed my test recently. I have been driving for a while as a learner so I have clocked up a significant number of hours on the road. Anyway, I'm at uni, not a very car friendly city but good public transport so no need for a car for commuting. However I really enjoy driving and want to keep my skills up and gain more experience etc. So the question is do I get insured on the family car as a named driver (before people start going on about fronting, no I will definitely not be the main driver, my mum drives to work every day etc, I'll just be driving at weekends and recreationally really, won't have a large mileage) or do I get a wee car of my own, insured on that. If I did the second option I'd be buying the car with my younger sibling, I'd be the main driver on the insurance and he'd be named driver (when he passes his test). I've read that I can't get a NCB as a named driver so that's a drawback of the first option, but I'm sure the first option would be cheaper so idk. If I went with the first option I'd just get a car later (in a year or two maybe, I'd probably be twenty which might lower premiums). Thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by _z7z_
Right so passed my test recently. I have been driving for a while as a learner so I have clocked up a significant number of hours on the road. Anyway, I'm at uni, not a very car friendly city but good public transport so no need for a car for commuting. However I really enjoy driving and want to keep my skills up and gain more experience etc. So the question is do I get insured on the family car as a named driver (before people start going on about fronting, no I will definitely not be the main driver, my mum drives to work every day etc, I'll just be driving at weekends and recreationally really, won't have a large mileage) or do I get a wee car of my own, insured on that. If I did the second option I'd be buying the car with my younger sibling, I'd be the main driver on the insurance and he'd be named driver (when he passes his test). I've read that I can't get a NCB as a named driver so that's a drawback of the first option, but I'm sure the first option would be cheaper so idk. If I went with the first option I'd just get a car later (in a year or two maybe, I'd probably be twenty which might lower premiums). Thoughts?

Your insurance price will go down each year regardless of whether you have been driving regularly or not, so i would say use the family car if you don't need one for yourself urgently due to the fact it will be a lot cheaper. Then when you need your own car, insurance will be cheaper and you will probably get a NCB too
It'd be an expensive option to buy, insure, run and maintain a car solely to keep your oar in. I'd just get insured on the family car tbh.
I've been going through the same debate right now as I'm hoping to pass later this year. I figure if I'm at uni then there'll be no point in my own car, like I'll just be paying out on it for no reason really. I think as a recent driver as well if you get insured as a secondary driver on someone else's car insurance won't be as bad. For now I'd just go with that really.
I would just get insured on your family car. So much easier, so much cheaper.. also if you’re in a city centre and it’s not car friendly then it can be annoying to have to worry about parking and leaving your car etc. so just easier to use the family car and not have those worries!
Original post by _z7z_

Go with the first option - when my son got his own car he'd been on our insurance as a named driver and did get NCD based on that.
Reply 6
@mj04 @Admit-One @SupposedlyIronic @Edin965 @Muttley79
Great guys thanks for the replies. A resounding response in favour of the first option! I was leaning towards it anyway so that's fine I'll just do that. Makes the most sense I think!
Original post by _z7z_

how much was it to get insured on ur family car

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending