The Student Room Group

people who lift weights/good at fitness answer please

so basically after alot of calorie deficit and working out i'm finally at my ideal weight (50kg). now i want to focus on building muscles, mainly my bum and thighs since i completely lost them while losing weight. but i know that in order to gain muscle you need to eat a calorie surplus, will this increase my fat %? i want to gain muscle but not gain fat, since 99% of the fat goes to my face and there's no way to get rid of it. i dont mind fat on my body at all, but the whole reason i lost weight is to get rid of my face fat, and i don't want to gain it again. ive never lifted or anything like that so i'm a complete noob, but this is my biggest question. so can anyone help out
Reply 1
you CANNOT spot reduce fat from a singular point on your body. If you gain fat, which is impossible to avoid in a caloric surplus, you gain fat evenly across your entire body. You many gain fat in particular areas more than others, but that is due to genetics and cannot be changed. For example, i store a lot of my fat in legs and i cant change that. you said you want to gain muscle not fat. This is possible but gaining muscle happens quickest in a caloric surplus. You seem to be a beginner so if you stay on a structured workout program, eat enough protein, get enough sleep, even if you are at maintenance calories and a slight calorie deficit you said gain some muscle, and if you focus on muscles you want to gain muscle on by training 2/3 times a week you may gain more muscle there.
Reply 2
Original post by Flewin
you CANNOT spot reduce fat from a singular point on your body. If you gain fat, which is impossible to avoid in a caloric surplus, you gain fat evenly across your entire body. You many gain fat in particular areas more than others, but that is due to genetics and cannot be changed. For example, i store a lot of my fat in legs and i cant change that. you said you want to gain muscle not fat. This is possible but gaining muscle happens quickest in a caloric surplus. You seem to be a beginner so if you stay on a structured workout program, eat enough protein, get enough sleep, even if you are at maintenance calories and a slight calorie deficit you said gain some muscle, and if you focus on muscles you want to gain muscle on by training 2/3 times a week you may gain more muscle there.

i know i cannot spot reduce fat, i only hated my chubby face and lost weight everywhere because of it (even though i liked my body), and now i want to lift weights to gain muscles in some places.
honestly im just confused by this calorie surplus thing. i thought the energy/protein will help you gain muscle, but if you also gain fat why are fit people not fat?
sorry im just confused haha, but thanks for your other tips. yes im a complete begginer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending