The Student Room Group

Guidance on Young Writer on Liberty Competition?

Hiya, I'm a current year 12 student who is looking into entering into the Young Writer on Liberty competition with the Adam Smith Institute. I was wondering if anyone was willing to have a discussion and clarify what this year's question is asking, the question goes as follows:

"Every aspect of Western culture needs a new code of ethics a rational ethics as a precondition of rebirth,” wrote Ayn Rand.
In what ways would rational ethics improve Western culture and Western politics?

I understand it requires knowledge of the free markets and individual liberty which leads me to interpret rational ethics as ethics based on everyone acting in their self-interest which will in effect allow the economy to reach equilibrium or something along those lines. Any feedback would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Hiya, I'm a current year 12 student who is looking into entering into the Young Writer on Liberty competition with the Adam Smith Institute. I was wondering if anyone was willing to have a discussion and clarify what this year's question is asking, the question goes as follows:

"Every aspect of Western culture needs a new code of ethics a rational ethics as a precondition of rebirth,” wrote Ayn Rand.
In what ways would rational ethics improve Western culture and Western politics?

I understand it requires knowledge of the free markets and individual liberty which leads me to interpret rational ethics as ethics based on everyone acting in their self-interest which will in effect allow the economy to reach equilibrium or something along those lines. Any feedback would be appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending