The Student Room Group

Who should my referees be?

Need some advice, I'm currently completing my NQT by working as a cover supervisor in one school, paid through a supply agency as a teacher.

I'm applying for a job, I need 2 referees. My options include:
- My PGCE Mentor from last year
- My uni PGCE lead from last year
- The current head at my school
- The supply agency

I'm not really sure which would be most appropriate :redface:

Can someone help? :puppyeyes:
I’ve just had a similar dilemma too.
Does the application give a brief description of who your referees should be/ what they should be able to provide? For example, mine asked for a clinical referee and an academic referee which helps to narrow it down.

For one referee, I approached the undergraduate director as they oversee everything so I thought they would be suitable to provide an overall reference.
For the other, I approached someone who I have regular contact with and who has overseen a significant amount of my recent work.

Perhaps you could do something similar?
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I’ve just had a similar dilemma too.
Does the application give a brief description of who your referees should be/ what they should be able to provide? For example, mine asked for a clinical referee and an academic referee which helps to narrow it down.
No. Usually an application would state some preferences but this doesn't. It is convention to use your current headteacher but since he's not my actual employer it's a bit tricky.
Original post by 04MR17
No. Usually an application would state some preferences but this doesn't. It is convention to use your current headteacher but since he's not my actual employer it's a bit tricky.

Does the referee strictly have to be your employer? I would lean towards whoever you report to/ monitors your progress.
Reply 4
I think the current head would be fine, yknow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending