The Student Room Group

Who Can I Use as Personal References?

I am completing the pre-employment checks and planned to use my academic advisors from university and my part-time employers but it asks for 2 personal referees and 1 academic OR employer referee.

It is clearly stated it cannot be an employer for the personal referee but is it okay to use academic references as the personal referees?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by kj740
I am completing the pre-employment checks and planned to use my academic advisors from university and my part-time employers but it asks for 2 personal referees and 1 academic OR employer referee.

It is clearly stated it cannot be an employer for the personal referee but is it okay to use academic references as the personal referees?

I would very much doubt it unless your academic referee knows you personally.

Personal references are more akin to people who know you on a personal level, but who aren't related to you (to avoid bias). They are essentially looking for someone to vouch for your character e.g. are you hardworking? Talkative? Likes to try new things?
Better sources would be captains of sports clubs that you attend to, managers of charities you volunteer at, the priest at the church/synangogue/mosque/etc. that you go to.
People who I don't recommend for this are your best mate (unless she's/he's a capitain/manager of a place that you go to), your work colleague, your 5 year old cousin, your doctor, your local librarian.
Original post by kj740

For personal references, you can use someone such as
* a leader/instructor/captain of a club/team/group that you are a member of
* Someone from a place where you have volunteered
* Someone from a place where you have done work experience/a college placement etc.
* a religious leader (if you are religious/go to church etc)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending