The Student Room Group

Moving to USA for University

Hi there, I am 15 year old living in the UK. I really want to study business/economics and work on Wall Street one day! Anyone that knows about it, or has done it before, would you be able to answer a couple questions?- Is it hard to get a visa to study there (age 18)? - How much would everything cost, would university be alot more expensive then UK Local?- Would I have a good acceptance rate comparing to those who already lived in the US for their whole life?Thanks all!
Reply 1
Thanks to anyone who helps!
University in the US is *much* more expensive than the UK. Tuition is 30-60k. If you need financial aid, your acceptance chances may be negatively affected depending on the university; otherwise, you have the same chance as any American. Have you looked into the curriculum differences between US and UK?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by adam_m.07
Hi there, I am 15 year old living in the UK. I really want to study business/economics and work on Wall Street one day! Anyone that knows about it, or has done it before, would you be able to answer a couple questions?- Is it hard to get a visa to study there (age 18)? - How much would everything cost, would university be alot more expensive then UK Local?- Would I have a good acceptance rate comparing to those who already lived in the US for their whole life?Thanks all!

You could work on Wall Street with a UK degree. It's a lot more expensive unless you have a scholarship, which are pretty competitive. The acceptance rates vary but top US universities are about four times more competitive than even Oxford and Cambridge. You will need stellar grades and good extra curricular activities, too.
Check out this thread and then come back with any follow up questions:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7084168
Reply 5
Original post by Sandtrooper
You could work on Wall Street with a UK degree. It's a lot more expensive unless you have a scholarship, which are pretty competitive. The acceptance rates vary but top US universities are about four times more competitive than even Oxford and Cambridge. You will need stellar grades and good extra curricular activities, too.

Hi thanks for the reply. I am planning to get or try get a scholarship in swimming, as I am a fast competitive swimmer now. If that doesn't plan out, I will have to try other options. Thanks for your answer!
Reply 6
Original post by Sandtrooper

Great idea, but, wouldn't I have a higher chance getting accepted into a Wall Street job, with a USA University Degree, rather then a British degree?
Reply 7
Original post by kamara41
Check out this thread and then come back with any follow up questions:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7084168

Thank you so much, really helpful!
Here's an idea - why not simply work in the City of London? Isn't that a much smarter idea?
Original post by adam_m.07
Great idea, but, wouldn't I have a higher chance getting accepted into a Wall Street job, with a USA University Degree, rather then a British degree?

Maybe, but they'd still need to sponsor a Visa, and it's probably more competitive as an international student, whereas you could transfer as an associate later in your career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending