The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Biology Paper 1 7402/1 - 9 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Do the standard deviations of these two means overlap? I thought they would, but I saw a video that said they didn't so now I don't know if I'm just missing a really simple point..

Species 1: 0.51 +/- 0.03
Species 4: 0.47 +/- 0.02
Original post by katrin04
hi - are channel proteins/carrier proteins active/passive? I'm a little confused

only carrier proteins are active, becuase they are used in active transport, and active transport is an active process as it requires atp
facilitated diffusion is a passive process, so does not require atp and can use both channel and carrier proteins
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 762
Original post by simxne_
Do the standard deviations of these two means overlap? I thought they would, but I saw a video that said they didn't so now I don't know if I'm just missing a really simple point..

They should be overlapping. That video u watched is capping
do we have to be able to calculate spearmans rank and chi squared
Reply 764
Chi squared - potentially could come up in paper 2 as part of inheritance.if you dont remember the formula then its (sum of observed - expected)^2 / expected.

As for spearman's rank, idk if thats the same as correlation-coefficient, but that could be asked for in a question, like what suitable test could be used based on the graph shown or something. So spearmans rank could be on any of the papers since its not purely for one topic.
(edited 1 year ago)
What are the different types of statistical tests needed and in what conditions are they needed
Reply 766
Original post by rosieee_mae1234
What are the different types of statistical tests needed and in what conditions are they needed

student's t-test: testing whether differences between means are significant or not. The hints in the question usually involve +/-SDs or error bars.
Chi-squared: an inheritance-linked question. Expected and observed ratios/results when it comes to probabilities of offspring inheriting a particular set of alleles.
Correlation-coefficient: when graph shows a correlation between two variables, and you are testing to see whether there is a relationship/correlation between the two
i just wanna sit this test and get it over and done with and start revising for chemistry
Does anybody else just feel nervous
Original post by albayati

YES couldnt even sleep i keep telling myslf im calm but im literally dying inside its my first a level exam
Original post by sunshine11111
i just wanna sit this test and get it over and done with and start revising for chemistry

Same haha, the closer this biology exam is getting the more anxious I become ahh
Original post by albayati

Yeah... I keep trying to tell myself that I can't remember literally everything, it's that weird feeling where you understand and know the topic but feel like you don't? Idk if I even made any sense lol. We've all got this though!
Original post by simxne_

go onto miss estruchs tik tok she recently posted a video about standard deviations
any one know any important equations for this exam?
Do we have to remember the causes of emphysema, fibrosis, asthma and Tuberculosis and how they happen?
Original post by Arymoh
Do we have to remember the causes of emphysema, fibrosis, asthma and Tuberculosis and how they happen?

what the hell, no i dont think so its not even on the spec,and when they give us application q they give us everything about that disease
do we need to know the founder effect for paper 1

im not 100% but i searchedd it and it was topic 5
are there any practical methods we need to have memorised or is it just application qs for those?
Original post by grace123lou
are there any practical methods we need to have memorised or is it just application qs for those?

i think for the only practical we would need to memorise is the osmosis/potato chip practical. Basically the serial dilution and the calibration curve graph stuff

founder effect is part of genetic diversity which is in the advanced spec so it might come idk. But inreality founder effect is basically just, when there is a small population (small gene pool) so when the organisms reproduce, there wont be much genetic diversity. Normally this happens from migration/geographical separation from the original population

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending