The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Offers Dilema

So ive just applied to uni and got some offers, but something seems to have got me down. How come ive been given an offer for a course with fewer places and a rejection for a course with more places. Ive applied to Nottingham for:

1)- Economics (L100) and i got a rejection (Course Places: 113)

2)- Economics and Econometrics (L140) and got a Unconditional offer (Course Places: 10)

Could anyone offer me suggestions as to why i got rejected for the L100 course? And also which of the 2 courses is better and why.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thank You
Reply 1
Maybe from your grades and personal statement, the Uni thinks that you'll be immense at econometrics.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Juda_69
So ive just applied to uni and got some offers, but something seems to have got me down. How come ive been given an offer for a course with fewer places and a rejection for a course with more places. Ive applied to Nottingham for:

1)- Economics (L100) and i got a rejection (Course Places: 113)

2)- Economics and Econometrics (L140) and got a Unconditional offer (Course Places: 10)

Could anyone offer me suggestions as to why i got rejected for the L100 course? And also which of the 2 courses is better and why.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thank You

Congrats
I personally think 2nd option is better. Gives you more options. More like joint degree :smile:
Reply 3
The way I see it you should be happy. You're going to be 1 of just 10 people doing the course. I also suspect that because it's a joint honours course, in the L140 course, you'll be attending the same lectures as the economics students just with the extra econometrics ones so they thought you might as well be accepted on the second choice and rejected on the 1st choice so other students could get a place. Also like someone has pointed out, with the dual subject course you've got more options open to you then if you did straight economics
Reply 4
Actually, a lot of people who do straight Economics did the exact same modules as the people who did Economics and Econometrics.

In the second year, you have to take the econometrics modules, whereas many people who did econometrics in the first year switch to quantitative economics (like me!) because econometrics is too hard.

In fact, you actually have less options open if you do Economics and Econometrics. This is because in year two, you are only allowed to pick modules from the School of Economics, whilst people like myself who do straight Economics are allowed to take modules from other Schools. However, the vast majority of people will stick to modules within the School of Economics anyway (again, just like yours truly!)

People who do straight Economics are able to do exactly the same modules as those who take Economics and Econometrics. The only difference being that the title of your degree will be different.
geoff_yin
Maybe from your grades and personal statement, the Uni thinks that you'll be immense at econometrics.

That genuinely made me lol! I'm such a jaded individual it doesn't happen often - I thankyou.
Reply 6
Hiphopopotamus
That genuinely made me lol! I'm such a jaded individual it doesn't happen often - I thankyou.

You're welcome? :colonhash:

Latest

Trending

Trending