The Student Room Group

Peter Symonds College 2022-23

Hello, recently I received an offer from Peter Symonds College in Winchester and I was wondering if anyone else has applied or has received an offer from PSC? Also if there are any current students there, what is it like there? is it a good school for academics?

Thank you vv much :u:
Reply 1
Original post by happycappy
Hello, recently I received an offer from Peter Symonds College in Winchester and I was wondering if anyone else has applied or has received an offer from PSC? Also if there are any current students there, what is it like there? is it a good school for academics?

Thank you vv much :u:

No longer a current student (finished in 2013) but happy to answer any questions- although I can imagine it's changed a lot since I was there :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lilGem
No longer a current student (finished in 2013) but happy to answer any questions- although I can imagine it's changed a lot since I was there :smile:

Hello there, thank you so much for responding. I wrote a couple of questions I have below :smile:
1. Is adjusting to sixth form from secondary daunting? (I'm living abroad so I'm a little concerned about the transition over)
2. Is the environment at PSC friendly(ish) or is it quite competitive?
3. I know the school is quite big so it is difficult to meet people?
4. Also did you like your time there? would you recommend it?

Again, thank you so much :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by happycappy
Hello there, thank you so much for responding. I wrote a couple of questions I have below :smile:
1. Is adjusting to sixth form from secondary daunting? (I'm living abroad so I'm a little concerned about the transition over)
2. Is the environment at PSC friendly(ish) or is it quite competitive?
3. I know the school is quite big so it is difficult to meet people?
4. Also did you like your time there? would you recommend it?

Again, thank you so much :smile:

I think the transition from secondary to sixth form is daunting regardless of sixth form- but I remember finding at Symonds they often expected a lot of you- there is a massive emphasis on independent study (and the library is often packed at times) but students live by the mantra of work hard/ play hard.

Everyone at Symonds is really friendly and easy to talk to- while most students apply to competitive courses (Med/ Vet/ Dent/ Law) the atmosphere is more supportive of each other but at the same time you are pushed to be the best you can be.

It is a big college, but it's easy enough to find your group- when I was there you had a compulsory extra-curricular whether it be sports, anatomy/ physiology in second year, CILEX you would have plenty of chances to meet new people in addition to your weekly tutor session and regular classes. I found everyone to be much more amenable and approachable.

I absolutely loved it there- as I said the work was hard- but it paid off. I made some very close friends there of which I'm still best friends with nearly a decade on. The environment is supportive and a lot more academic than I expected, but it also enabled myself and many friends to get onto courses like medicine at ICL, nat sci at cambs, medicine in sheffield and so forth.

If you need any other information please don't hesitate to reach out :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. I'll post here if I have anymore questions. Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Hey there!
I've just confirmed my place at Symonds as well, and I've been wondering the same things.
I lived abroad whilst doing my GCSEs, so I'm going into Symonds knowing nobody, but hopefully it's easy to make some friends due to it being a larger college.
I found that on my Welcome day all the teachers were very enthusiastic and encouraging, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Have you chosen to go to Symonds, or elsewhere? :h:
Reply 6
Original post by emzy16
Hey there!
I've just confirmed my place at Symonds as well, and I've been wondering the same things.
I lived abroad whilst doing my GCSEs, so I'm going into Symonds knowing nobody, but hopefully it's easy to make some friends due to it being a larger college.
I found that on my Welcome day all the teachers were very enthusiastic and encouraging, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Have you chosen to go to Symonds, or elsewhere? :h:

Hi! Yea I ended up confirming my place at Symonds as well. The teachers in welcome day were pretty good although some of the other students were a bit intimidating. I assume it's just because I'm not familiar with anyone and the place but I think joining enrichment and being in classes will make the transition easier. Also what subjects are you doing? :smile:
Reply 7
Ah nice! I'm doing biology, chemistry and physics...which is kind of daunting...
I have a question; how many clubs can we do at Peter Symonds? because I heard that there was a limit of how many clubs you can do. for example I would like to join oxbridge club but also do sports or something like that. Is it possible?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending