The Student Room Group

trying to learn french

Im trying to watch things in french to get better at it but i have no clue what they are saying. Do i stick with it or just do something else because i understand some french like basic school french but tv is so different and they talk fast and i dont really understand whats going on

any tips on how to get better fast would be helpful thankss
Original post by Sash199
Im trying to watch things in french to get better at it but i have no clue what they are saying. Do i stick with it or just do something else because i understand some french like basic school french but tv is so different and they talk fast and i dont really understand whats going on

any tips on how to get better fast would be helpful thankss

Watching things in French can seem very difficult to begin with so I'd recommend having English subtitles with it to start with. This will get you used to hearing the French whilst still understanding what's going on. When you feel more confident put on French subtitles with French audio still and you can read along as they speak. I've found this useful and then eventually you'll be able to watch things without subtitles at all. Remember you shouldn't expect to understand every single detail of what's going on - try to get the general idea.

I'm doing French A-level at the moment so here are a few things I do. To learn vocab I use quizlet (not sure what you're learning French for? This is more helpful for school/education purposes). I also find French songs and try to understand what they're singing about. To start with I read the lyrics as I was listening. Once you get better you'll be able to find the message of the songs and I find this really interesting! Listening to podcasts in French about your interests/hobbies etc is also a great way to learn. There are also transcripts for some of these online.

I'm not sure of your current level in French? For beginners there is online courses like duolingo but I wouldn't recommend for more advanced learning.

Hope this helps! Any more questions just ask :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by eleanor1309
Watching things in French can seem very difficult to begin with so I'd recommend having English subtitles with it to start with. This will get you used to hearing the French whilst still understanding what's going on. When you feel more confident put on French subtitles with French audio still and you can read along as they speak. I've found this useful and then eventually you'll be able to watch things without subtitles at all. Remember you shouldn't expect to understand every single detail of what's going on - try to get the general idea.

I'm doing French A-level at the moment so here are a few things I do. To learn vocab I use quizlet (not sure what you're learning French for? This is more helpful for school/education purposes). I also find French songs and try to understand what they're singing about. To start with I read the lyrics as I was listening. Once you get better you'll be able to find the message of the songs and I find this really interesting! Listening to podcasts in French about your interests/hobbies etc is also a great way to learn. There are also transcripts for some of these online.

I'm not sure of your current level in French? For beginners there is online courses like duolingo but I wouldn't recommend for more advanced learning.

Hope this helps! Any more questions just ask :smile:

thank you! il try that
im doing gcse french and im in yr 11 but my french definitely isnt as good as it should be at this point haha. I'll give that a shot
Original post by Sash199
thank you! il try that
im doing gcse french and im in yr 11 but my french definitely isnt as good as it should be at this point haha. I'll give that a shot

GCSE level French is incredibly basic - it does not at all prepare you for watching TV in French, so don't feel bad that you understand virtually nothing. To practice for GCSE level, go over vocabulary, listening papers, and writing tasks. You can get an easy grade 9 through that.
Original post by Sash199
thank you! il try that

Ahhh good luck with your exams!! For me the best way to revise for gcse French was make sure you know as much vocab as you can on the spec using quizlet or something similar like flashcards. Then practice questions for everything. Practice lots of listening and reading in timed conditions and just practice writing answers to lots of questions. For speaking you can practice speaking to yourself to get yourself used to it and then perhaps ask your teacher for sessions to go over accuracy of your speaking.

All my ideas before will be great if you want to continue understanding French past gcse but for now I'd focus on exam prep for your gcses!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by BarnabyK
GCSE level French is incredibly basic - it does not at all prepare you for watching TV in French, so don't feel bad that you understand virtually nothing. To practice for GCSE level, go over vocabulary, listening papers, and writing tasks. You can get an easy grade 9 through that.

thanks! i will be doing that aswell but i want to go further than just gcse french and really be able to speak it and understand it in real life aswell :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by eleanor1309
Ahhh good luck with your exams!! For me the best way to revise for gcse French was make sure you know as much vocab as you can on the spec using quizlet or something similar like flashcards. Then practice questions for everything. Practice lots of listening and reading in timed conditions and just practice writing answers to lots of questions. For speaking you can practice speaking to yourself to get yourself used to it and then perhaps ask your teacher for sessions to go over accuracy of your speaking.

All my ideas before will be great if you want to continue understanding French past gcse but for now I'd focus on exam prep for your gcses!

Good luck :smile:

thankyou yes i will do that! and after exams i am going to try understand more french in a less 'schooly' way thankss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending