The Student Room Group

Help please!!

Hey, I’m an international student so I don’t have all the insights on the reputations and whatnot of unis in the UK. I’ve got offers to four unis to study law (LLB) and I desperately need some tips on what to choose as my firm and insurance choices.

Manchester Metropolitan
Birmingham city
Aston
Liverpool John Moore

What I do know is that these aren’t the best unis but my grades could be enough for these at least… So, I know they’re not the best unis but what I need to know is which of these would be the best option.

I’m kinda interested living in Manchester but don’t know about manchester met.
heyy, you could check out university league tables to see where about they are. don’t entirely rely on the tables tho, look at the categories that it judges them off and the unis score in that. another thing i like to do is go on youtube and look at vlogs from other people who gone there or just people reviewing the uni.

i also applied for law at liverpool, manchester, uni of law, manchester met and john moore’s. i ordered them as liv, uni of law, manchester, man met and john moore’s. i would have gone to manchester if the entry requirements weren’t so high, it’s probably the best from my choices.
Reply 2
Ffirm Aston. Insure Manchester
Original post by kaylie olsen
Hey, I’m an international student so I don’t have all the insights on the reputations and whatnot of unis in the UK. I’ve got offers to four unis to study law (LLB) and I desperately need some tips on what to choose as my firm and insurance choices.

Manchester Metropolitan
Birmingham city
Aston
Liverpool John Moore

What I do know is that these aren’t the best unis but my grades could be enough for these at least… So, I know they’re not the best unis but what I need to know is which of these would be the best option.

Check out which Law Schools (from the above) are "triple accredited" - means they have professional, accrediting law bodies saying they're not only good universities for law, but the best. Triple Accreditation is like winning Gold in the 100m dash at the Olympics. Everyone knows who you are and what you've achieved.
Original post by Advice Man
Check out which Law Schools (from the above) are "triple accredited" - means they have professional, accrediting law bodies saying they're not only good universities for law, but the best. Triple Accreditation is like winning Gold in the 100m dash at the Olympics. Everyone knows who you are and what you've achieved.

This is a new low for the nonsense people recommend on here when it comes to uni ranking.
Original post by Gmaster1980
This is a new low for the nonsense people recommend on here when it comes to uni ranking.

Amazing! People try and help, but no... you wanna dark flex on them. Go ahead.
Amazing! People try and help, but no... you wanna dark flex on them. Go ahead.

Not a "dark flex" (?) more that what you suggested is a completely meaningless metric to assess unis by. Bad advice is not better than no advice.
Original post by Gmaster1980
Not a "dark flex" (?) more that what you suggested is a completely meaningless metric to assess unis by. Bad advice is not better than no advice.

So, your take is triple accreditation, awarded by different employer-led bodies, is "meaningless" to students studying on a degree to, presumably, get a law-related job, with those self same employers after graduating?

I'm sorry I was not able to convince you.

Apologies but this is so comically wrong that I am genuinely curious if you are a boomer or a troll or both?

"Accreditation" only exists in a very loose sense for law degrees. The Bar Standards Board "accredits" law degrees that are "qualifying" - holders of these degrees have passed the 'academic' part of training to be a barrister. You can read more about this here: https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/training-qualification/becoming-a-barrister/academic-component.html.

The SRA used to have something similar; however, this is no longer relevant to the OP, as they will not be eligible to go through the law degree plus LPC route.

Crucially, the SRA accredited most universities - having accreditation was truly the bare minimum and was never something these universities bragged about. You can see the full list here: https://www.sra.org.uk/become-solicitor/legal-practice-course-route/qualifying-law-degree-common-professional-examination/qualifying-law-degree-providers/.

There is no other body that accredits anything that is specifically law-related in the UK. You have the OfS and the QAA but these will review every degree at every university. So I am not entirely sure where the "triple" part would come from.

So, your take is triple accreditation, awarded by different employer-led bodies, is "meaningless" to students studying on a degree to, presumably, get a law-related job, with those self same employers after graduating?

Can you please tell us what these "employer-led bodies" are called and provide a link to them? I have been practising for years (and was a student for another several on top of that) and I have never encountered one that regulated law degrees.

You are also making the mistake of assuming that legal "employers" are a monolith when they're not. The hiring and prestige-related preferences of a small firm in a small town in the north of England will be very different to those of the London office of a US-headquartered firm. Same goes for the Bar.

The more I read your posts the more I think that you simply ended up in the wrong forum and wanted to discuss engineering or graphic design.

Hard to convince someone of something that isn't true when that someone knows more than you lol

Manchester Metropolitan
Birmingham city
Aston
Liverpool John Moore

Hi there,

Congratulations on all four of your offers! I think the best university for you should be a personal thing, what are you looking for in your dream university. I would recommend making a list of your top qualities and priorities and categorising your choices accordingly. You can utilise these websites (https://www.whatuni.com/ and https://www.whatuni.com/ ) to help you compare your options as well.

I know you're an international student but if you're able to attend open days, or just visit the different campuses or cities it might be helpful. The Law LLB course at Aston is a qualifying law degree. It is recognised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) as satisfying the academic stage of legal training for solicitors. It also meets the requirements of the Bar Standards Board (BSB) for the academic component of training for barristers. As an Aston LLB graduate, you can therefore proceed directly to the Legal Practice Course or Bar Professional Training Course. In your second and final years, you will be offered a range of optional modules to help tailor your degree to your personal choice. You can find out more about the Aston LLB degree here https://www.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/law-llb/september-2022.

Birmingham as a city is very diverse, vibrant and alive. It's a multicultural hub and a lot of international students have reported that this has helped them transition better. The university is also relatively small and intimate, this means that you're able to access help quicker ( both academic and otherwise) and you're able to stand out as a student.

Hope this has helped

*Ethel
Manchester, as a city, is amazing. Going to either university is ideal. But it depends on what the course is like etc. and finally deciding where you'd be happy. Both UoM and MMU are some of the biggest institutions in the UK with regards to student population - so it's something to consider if people population isn't your thing.

Manchester Metropolitan
Birmingham city
Aston
Liverpool John Moore

Hi @kaylie olsen

I thought it might be helpful if i tell you a little bit about our course here at Manchester Met!

Our law degree has been redesigned to take account of the changes to legal education, training and practice and be fit for the 21st century. Take your first step on the path to becoming a solicitor or barrister or to work in related professional services or academia. Continue studying with us for a discount on your fees.

We have links to leading law firms, chambers, and the wider professional sectors including Eversheds, DWF, Deloitte, Browne Jacobson, Addleshaw Goddard and chambers across the Northern Circuit.

We have invested in our facilities to offer an enhanced student experience. Our brand new, state-of-the-art moot court room offers students the ideal environment to improve their legal advocacy skills.we have invested in our facilities to offer an enhanced student experience. ( you can find information our facilities here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/law/study/school-life/our-facilities/ ) Our brand new, state-of-the-art moot court room offers students the ideal environment to improve their legal advocacy skills. Alongisde this our teaching team are experienced professionals and renowned academics. They’ll inspire you to think about the law in new ways.

We work closely with the student Law Society to ensure a full programme of employability and social activities, and student support initiatives

We have a Pro Bono network which our Law students can get involved with. The Pro Bono Network is involved in pro bono projects offering a wide range of legal work across all legal areas and we are working on new projects with local, national and international pro bono partners all the time. The Pro Bono Network offers a range of options for involvement to match differing skills, interests and availability whilst supporting the community.

Law students could be working on a legal advice line; assisting start-up businesses in our Business Law Cafe; supporting caseworkers for the homeless; representing clients at tribunals; or even working on death row cases in America.

You can find more information on the probono net work here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/law/study/school-life/pro-bono/

You can find out about Law school life here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/law/study/school-life/

You can find more information about our courses and take campus tours on our new Victual Experience: https://virtualexperience.mmu.ac.uk/

Hope this helps!

Carly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending