The Student Room Group

CAMBRIDGE - Worried About My AS grades. (Chemistry Edexcel AS 2022)

Well, I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge to do English Literature. But the problem I'm facing right now is that I've started my AS exams and my chemistry is lacking, I'm worried that because my chemistry grade everything will be messed up. Does anyone have any advice for how to improve chemistry? Does Cambridge look at AS (linear) results? And can you improve to an A in chemistry if you are getting C/Ds in AS? This isn't because I haven't put in hard work, I have. But things just don't seem to be clicking.
This may not be right, but I was told by my teacher that uni's don't really look at your AS level grade, because only 1/3rd of all A level students do AS exams. Your predicted grades which you will use to apply for uni will be calculated with your AS grade in mind, but they will look at other factors when deciding too.
Whether or not you can get an A isn't really something we can tell you, its more about whether you feel capable or not. For example, I did AS biology and got a C, and I genuinely didn't think I would be able to improve, so I dropped the subject.
If things arent 'clicking' then you might struggle in 2nd year, however I think the best thing for you to do would be to wait to get your results, and if they are lower than you would like, maybe have a talk with your tutor/teachers
Reply 2
Original post by Squiggles1238
This may not be right, but I was told by my teacher that uni's don't really look at your AS level grade, because only 1/3rd of all A level students do AS exams. Your predicted grades which you will use to apply for uni will be calculated with your AS grade in mind, but they will look at other factors when deciding too.
Whether or not you can get an A isn't really something we can tell you, its more about whether you feel capable or not. For example, I did AS biology and got a C, and I genuinely didn't think I would be able to improve, so I dropped the subject.
If things arent 'clicking' then you might struggle in 2nd year, however I think the best thing for you to do would be to wait to get your results, and if they are lower than you would like, maybe have a talk with your tutor/teachers

I'm in the same boat, but I only have 3 A levels, so if I were to drop chemistry, I'd have to pick a whole new one and start from scratch. I don't know whether it's the right choice to make or not tbh. Do you know anyone to have improved from a C in AS to an A in A2 for chemistry? If so, do you know how they did it?
Original post by danimototo
I'm in the same boat, but I only have 3 A levels, so if I were to drop chemistry, I'd have to pick a whole new one and start from scratch. I don't know whether it's the right choice to make or not tbh. Do you know anyone to have improved from a C in AS to an A in A2 for chemistry? If so, do you know how they did it?

I dont know anyone who has had something like that happen to them in chemistry. All I can say is on the whole, A2 content for any subject is typically harder and more complex, especially in science subjects, making it slightly less likely your grade will improve.
If you weren’t doing so well because of exam technique, it would be more likely you could boost your grade to that A. But as things aren’t clicking for you like you say, that may prove difficult moving forward. I would really recommend having a talk with your chemistry teacher about what your options going forward are
Original post by danimototo

Well i dropped biology and i have started a new A level, and im doing better now, so its not the be all and end all for some people i guess
Reply 5
Original post by Squiggles1238
I dont know anyone who has had something like that happen to them in chemistry. All I can say is on the whole, A2 content for any subject is typically harder and more complex, especially in science subjects, making it slightly less likely your grade will improve.
If you weren’t doing so well because of exam technique, it would be more likely you could boost your grade to that A. But as things aren’t clicking for you like you say, that may prove difficult moving forward. I would really recommend having a talk with your chemistry teacher about what your options going forward are

it actually is the exam technique that isn't clicking. I have great knowledge of content and stuff, and when i do papers and questions at home i usually end up scoring 70%-80% (75% is an A grade) but when i'm in the pressurised atmosphere of a test with the time ticking away i often panic and all my subject knowledge evaporates. I'm terrible at applying my knowledge to the paper, and the papers are becoming more application based unlike pervious years past papers, which might explain why i'm good at them but not so good at the new AS paper i was given yesterday. But i will talk to my subject tutor about this. Thank you for all your help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending