The Student Room Group

UCL or Durham for Physics BSc?

I got unconditional offer from both unis (Theoretical Physics BSc for UCL and Physics BSc for Durham) but I cannot decide which one to pick as my firm. I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me choose between them since the deadline is approaching.

A bit about myself:
# I'm interested in theoretical physics/cosmology/astrophysics/particle physics.
# I want to apply to Cambridge (for MASt in Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics - Part III) after getting my BSc, so I want to do a course which will prepare me well for that.
# Eventually I want to do research after getting a PhD in one of the areas I mentioned, either in the UK or abroad (I'm an international student).

UCL pros (+) and cons (-) for me:
+ Higher position in overall international rankings and more well-known/reputed internationally (so this might make it easier for me to get a PhD from a decent uni abroad?)
+ Since the course is called 'Theoretical Physics', it has more maths modules in the second and third years instead of practical modules. There is an option to take a Level 7 General Relativity module in the third year, something which interests me (Durham doesn't have this option unfortunately).
- Silver TEF rating and reports of bad teaching quality on the internet (Can any UCL Physics student elaborate on this?)
- Lower student satisfaction due to the high cost of living in London. Having visited London before, I don't like it that much either.

Durham pros (+) and cons (-) for me:
+ The uni focusses a lot more on the areas of physics that I am interested in. In the international rankings for physics (like QS subject ranking), it's in the ballpark of UCL's physics department. For astrophysics/theoretical physics, it ranks much higher than UCL in the international subject rankings which only consider the research performance and not any reputation surveys (https://edurank.org/physics/theoretical/).
+ TEF Gold rated and higher position in national rankings due to (supposedly) better teaching quality (again, would highly appreciate it if any Durham Physics student can share their experience since it's just what I read on the internet).
+ Even though the course is less mathematical since it's a plain physics course (no Theoretical Physics BSc at Durham), I like the course structure more as it has less coursework.
+ I like the city more and the collegiate system seems nice (never visited it before but I loved Cambridge when I went there for my interview and someone told me that Cambridge and Durham have very similar vibes. I also got into Castle).
- Since the course is less mathematical, it might not prepare me as well for Cambridge Part III as the UCL course (I don't mind doing practical though).
- Lower overall international ranking/'prestige'. And maybe lower employment prospects compared to UCL as well(?)

What I'm thinking:
# Teaching+quality/rigour of the course+future prospects are the most important factors for me, student experience comes right after.
# So I won't mind living in London if the UCL course has good teaching and will give me a considerable advantage over Durham's one when applying to Cambridge for Part III/getting a PhD position abroad (particularly in the US, where I can move straight to PhD without a masters degree).
# Otherwise I'll choose Durham since I like the place more and it'll be quite a bit cheaper for me. I also won't have to commute and will get more time for my hobbies/further studies/social life.

Can the physics students at Durham and UCL tell me more about the teaching and the rigour of their course (also anything else I might wanna consider and their overall experience)? Anyone else who knows about the physics courses at these unis can also help! Thanks in advance for reading my rather long post.
Reply 1
I had to choose between Edinburgh and Durham last year and it was the same situation. my subject was accounting and finance though. I also found my modules at Durham more interesting. After confirming Durham I did have a bit of regret when it would come to checking rankings but honestly, my single year at Durham was so much fun not only because I found the academics to be spot on but the college system and Durham itself in many ways has given me an experience I couldn't get anywhere else. yeah, international recognition is a bit less but other than that it fits all of my needs and I've never looked back. The city is great, everyone is so friendly, even if u get bored Newcastle is 15 mins away. I believe my decision to stick to Durham was good and it will increase my chances of getting first-class in bachelor levels for masters.
hope this helps
Original post by Asim8
I had to choose between Edinburgh and Durham last year and it was the same situation. my subject was accounting and finance though. I also found my modules at Durham more interesting. After confirming Durham I did have a bit of regret when it would come to checking rankings but honestly, my single year at Durham was so much fun not only because I found the academics to be spot on but the college system and Durham itself in many ways has given me an experience I couldn't get anywhere else. yeah, international recognition is a bit less but other than that it fits all of my needs and I've never looked back. The city is great, everyone is so friendly, even if u get bored Newcastle is 15 mins away. I believe my decision to stick to Durham was good and it will increase my chances of getting first-class in bachelor levels for masters.
hope this helps

Thanks for your reply, it's good to know that you're enjoying your time at Durham. I think Durham's international ranking for my subject (not the overall QS ranking) is good enough. The overall ranking prolly won't matter to me that much since I don't want to get a job right away. My main concern is the teaching quality+rigour of the two courses. Can anyone who's familiar with either of the physics courses comment on this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending