The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amourrose
like do you not have ur own culture, the amounts of times i've heard people that don't live in america use their mannersism and slangs is alot its even weirder when im hearing british people say stuff like yall... why do some of you do this?

I think it’s probably more true that Americans imitate British people because you all think we speak posh but it isn’t true
im not american its jsut weird when alot of the youtubers i watch want to sound like them it comes of desperate and annoying, yes american culture is all over tv but we still are exposed to our cultures so it not an excuse for you to be saying yall
Reply 3
Cross pollination, familiarity, irony, mocking.

Loads of reasons, none of which are particularly special.
Original post by KingRich
I think it’s probably more true that Americans imitate British people because you all think we speak posh but it isn’t true

this is not true at all but okay also im british not american
nobody wants to talk like Princess Megan, no sirree bob. y'all have a good day now.
Reply 6
It's also code-switching so that they can identify with and be identified with by their target audience
true they can but that doesn't mean i can't find it weird especially when you have never been in america but always using their accent and slang
Original post by gjd800
It's also code-switching so that they can identify with and be identified with by their target audience

ain't dat da truth
its also usually black american culture they copy, just look at how their drill culture is copied by so many youth around the world
Original post by thrivingfrog
Does it really matter?

i've already answered this question, no it doesn't im just wondering why some do it
'How dare Americans copy our metal culture, invented in the Midlands'

Do you see why such a stance is silly?
i've already answered this question, no it doesn't im just wondering why some do it

Maybe because they just want to. Simple as that. I honestly don't think it's that deep if someone says 'y'all'
Original post by gjd800
'How dare Americans copy our metal culture, invented in the Midlands'

Do you see why such a stance is silly?

pretty sure metal comes from rock which comes from america, nearly all the music that people in the uk listen to is from america
its weird end of, you are not american stop trying to sound like one

But why does it matter. Does it impact you negatively in any way? They aren't forcing you to join in, so why should you raise it as such a large issue?
But why does it matter. Does it impact you negatively in any way? They aren't forcing you to join in, so why should you raise it as such a large issue?

please just stop i never said it was a negative or anything, like im confused is it an issue to be curious or something? you have the right to talk how you want and i have the right to feel it is odd when you don't come from that culture, if that is a problem with you then leave the thread
please just stop i never said it was a negative or anything, like im confused is it an issue to be curious or something? you have the right to talk how you want and i have the right to feel it is odd when you don't come from that culture, if that is a problem with you then leave the thread

It's not a problem for me, I was just wondering why youre so bothered by it :lol:
It's not a problem for me, I was just wondering why youre so bothered by it :lol:

and i've told you why yet you keep repeating the same thing, so bye

Of course it can have a negative impact. Mostly dumbing down by using the simplest words rather than the most appropriate.

Latest