The Student Room Group

euthanasia

is involuntary euthanasia legal anywhere.

for my gcse English speaking exam
euthanasia is my topic
thanks
Original post by M.H4kim

euthanasia is my topic
thanks

Involuntary euthanasia = manslaughter at the least. I don't think that's legal.
What types of involuntary euthanasia?
Within a family, medical or stranger context?

Within the uk & usa, in some cases it is lawful for treating doctors to withdraw lifesaving medical treatment with the consent of the court or next of kin.
Or undertake open involuntary euthanasia by allowing a comatose adult, seriously handicapped baby or pre-pubescent child to starve to death.
Original post by M.H4kim

euthanasia is my topic
thanks

I know that it is in Switzerland (voluntary)
(edited 1 year ago)
I think non-voluntary (no wishes defined, family member decides) is legal in some cases, but involuntary (person wants to live, but they're killed anyway) has to be illegal, because it's essentially murder.
Original post by londonmyst
What types of involuntary euthanasia?
Within a family, medical or stranger context?

Within the uk & usa, in some cases it is lawful for treating doctors to withdraw lifesaving medical treatment with the consent of the court or next of kin.
Or undertake open involuntary euthanasia by allowing a comatose adult, seriously handicapped baby or pre-pubescent child to starve to death.

Starving to death doesn't sound like it should be legal.
Original post by SagaciousSag
Starving to death doesn't sound like it should be legal.

In the UK with the agreement of the next of kin or an order issued by a judge of the High Court COP/Family Div it's legal within a medical context.
Whether it should be lawful to do so remains a matter of fierce debate and in some parts of the usa where the pro-lifers or bible belt camps have a lot of influence, militant protests.

Quick Reply

Latest