The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

thisisyesterday
I think it highlights the sad truth about the elitist element of Cambridge, and how social background will determine whether or not you get in.

except that it doesn't. being smart, interesting, and articulate determines whether or not you get in. I hardly think it's Trinity's fault that she couldn't hack a short interview.
Reply 101
jaydoh
Lit and Lang are respected, I would say. Plus the fact that I studied Literature in one year and failed the synoptic and still got an A suggests that, yes, I was Oxbridge material. 3 marks off AAA, which is the standard offer, would have sufficed, I'd have thought??? :dontknow: Or is it so elitist you have to be spot on?

It isn't unheard of, but if you miss your offer then it is unlikely you'll get in.

You probably are good enough and maybe it is a shame that your prejudices and misconceptions stopped you from applying but using the fact that you failed your synoptic as evidence that you are good enough seems a bit :confused: (tongue in cheek...)
Reply 102
jaydoh
No because I originally studied English.

Because I was afraid of how the people would treat me, being a Mancunian.

I swear about half the year here is from Manchester.
Reply 103
:laughing:
jaydoh
No because I originally studied English.

Because I was afraid of how the people would treat me, being a Mancunian.

at least you wasted a great opportunity. well done.
jaydoh
Lit and Lang are respected, I would say. Plus the fact that I studied Literature in one year and failed the synoptic and still got an A suggests that, yes, I was Oxbridge material. 3 marks off AAA, which is the standard offer, would have sufficed, I'd have thought??? :dontknow: Or is it so elitist you have to be spot on?

Lit is. Lang not so much. According to Trinity College Language and Film Studies are of "limited suitability"- you'd probably need another more rigourous subject on top.

The fact is, you do have to be spot on, given the number of applications. Certainly there are exceptions- I know someone studying history with a B in history at A-level. But having high standards isn't elitist. Not in the way you're claiming anyway. Also, it's a completely ******** opinion that you wouldn't fit in because you're northern.
Satine
I swear about half the year here is from Manchester.

There's real Mancunians, and then there are people who actually live in an affluent area of Cheshire but say they're from Manchester. Don't get me wrong, there may be a lot of people from Manchester at Cambridge, but maybe not a lot from my background.
jaydoh

Anyway, why do Essex girls wear knickers?

To keep their ankles warm.

no, they'd have seen the failed module and the fact you didn't get AAA and told you where to go. I think you can only really be 'oxbridge material' if you have the ambition and personal conviction to apply in the first place.
jaydoh
There's real Mancunians, and then there are people who actually live in an affluent area of Cheshire but say they're from Manchester. Don't get me wrong, there may be a lot of people from Manchester at Cambridge, but maybe not a lot from my background.

seriously, get over yourself. if you're good enough, cambridge really dont care.
Reply 109
jaydoh

Stop putting barriers up for yourself.
Reply 110
jaydoh
And you wonder why I didn't apply to Oxbridge?

Because neither of them offer Broadcast Journalism?:smile:
Edit: damn, beaten to it. Sorry about that, I've got a flu and I'm a bit slower than usual...:frown:
Reply 111
newsflash: girl humiliated 10 years ago!
Reply 112
trm90
The interviewer was having a bad day, probably.

That said, to people saying she 'wasn't fit for Cambridge' or 'should have stood up for herself' - please do yourselves a favour and re-read the article, the man was throwing personal insults at her. There is a fine line between a personal insult and a provocative question.

Which personal insults?
I didnt read any personal insults in that article.
Reply 114
jaydoh

Eric Griffiths - the interviewer - is from Liverpool according to wikipedia so I doubt he would be prejudiced towards people from the North
Sorry, I find it all very hard to believe. None of my friends were treated that way and they're from Liverpool.
"Only after casting it aside, having gained little from it, did I realise that it was written by Eric Griffiths[interviewer]. Not even his book could help me."

Lol - sour city, population: her
hobnob
Because neither of them offer Broadcast Journalism?:smile:
Edit: damn, beaten to it. Sorry about that, I've got a flu and I'm a bit slower than usual...:frown:

Like I say I originally studied English.
Reply 118
jaydoh

No real scotsman would get into Cambridge.
nemnem
Eric Griffiths - the interviewer - is from Liverpool according to wikipedia so I doubt he would be prejudiced towards people from the North

Why did he scoff at someone from Harlow then?

Latest

Trending

Trending