The Student Room Group

Should science be all about knowledge or skills?

SHOULD SCIENCE BE ALL ABOUT KNOWLEDGE OR SKILLS?

There are two parts to the science curriculum: theory (knowledge) and practicals (skills).

Which one do you think is more important? Why?
Do you prefer theory (knowledge) or practicals (skills)?
How do you think both goals (knowledge and skills) can be achieved?
How much of the knowledge and skills do you think we learn is relevant in the world of work?

Let us know your thoughts!

More curriculum conversations like this

(edited 1 year ago)
In my personal view, I feel as though science is one of the most knowledge-heavy subjects on the curriculum.
I wouldn't mind more emphasis on skills there.
It should be both
Both! knowledge for unerstanding, skills to learn how to work in the science. Both should be equal and that is why I think it is all the more important that tests don't exist to check the knowledge, but also the skills in schools. The skills in terms of doing and preparing experiments have no considerations in education for exams and that is bad.
Original post by Brief Chaos
It should be both

Can you expand on your view? Why do you think it should be both? :smile:
Original post by Kallisto
Both! knowledge for unerstanding, skills to learn how to work in the science. Both should be equal and that is why I think it is all the more important that tests don't exist to check the knowledge, but also the skills in schools. The skills in terms of doing and preparing experiments have no considerations in education for exams and that is bad.

There is a practical endorsement in place to assess experimental skills. Do you not think it is a good method? Or does it need improvement/changing?
Original post by 5hyl33n
There is a practical endorsement in place to assess experimental skills. Do you not think it is a good method? Or does it need improvement/changing?

I personally feel the practical endorsement is a decent way to practice doing a variety of practicals, allows you to design your own practicals and assess you on particular skills that you have to pass. we also had to referencing and use software like excel as a part of the endorsement (i did all the sciences at a level)

science at school is skill heavy i believe. graph work, analysing data, practical skills, evaluation etc
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending