The Student Room Group

degrees with no essay writing

im gonna be studying a maths degree but i have to choose 2 extra subjects at my uni. was thinking economics, statistics or astronomy. how much essay writing do these subjects include, and can you suggest subjects with little to no essay writing?

*edit: yes im aware i might have to do a dissertation in a couple of years, still id still quite like to not set myself up to fail my first year by choosing an essay heavy subject.
(edited 1 year ago)
You need to look at the assessment methods used on the specific modules that you’re choosing from.
Any subject can include essays.

You are likely to have to produce a dissertation at some point so if you’re hoping to do well it might be worth taking modules with essays in the first few years and using your learning support team to build your skills instead of avoiding them completely.
Original post by YoonminIsReal
studying a maths degree but i have to choose 2 extra subjects at my uni. was thinking economics, statistics or astronomy. how much essay writing do these subjects include, and can you suggest subjects with little to no essay writing?

Hiya

I'm a law student so don't really have an idea of how much writing the non-essay based subjects include but you can talk to some current students at Durham who study the subjects you're thinking of taking: https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/student-connect/unibuddy-uk/

From what I could find with a quick google search, here are some courses which don't require much essay writing:
Engineering, CS, graphic designing, architecture, interior design, music, studio art. You've already mentioned economics and statistics.

-Himieka
Reply 3
Statistics is a good option but you must be ready to do more calculations than essay writing
studying a maths degree but i have to choose 2 extra subjects at my uni. was thinking economics, statistics or astronomy. how much essay writing do these subjects include, and can you suggest subjects with little to no essay writing?

Hi, I'm doing econ at uni and I think most econ modules have essays. The only way to fully know is to check the assessment methods in the module handbook
Original post by XanaXoid
Hi, I'm doing econ at uni and I think most econ modules have essays. The only way to fully know is to check the assessment methods in the module handbook

ive previously checked the assessments listed on their website, but it doesnt describe whether or not exams will be essay based or not
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PQ
You need to look at the assessment methods used on the specific modules that you’re choosing from.
Any subject can include essays.

You are likely to have to produce a dissertation at some point so if you’re hoping to do well it might be worth taking modules with essays in the first few years and using your learning support team to build your skills instead of avoiding them completely.

im gonna be studying maths so are essay skills really necessary?
ive previously checked the assessments listed on their website, but it doesnt describe whether or not exams will be essay based or not

If you can tell me which uni and which modules you are looking at and I can double check it for you
Original post by XanaXoid
If you can tell me which uni and which modules you are looking at and I can double check it for you

university of glasgow. can you tell me where you would find this information too?
im gonna be studying maths so are essay skills really necessary?

Have you looked into the assessment methods for your final year project?
You're likely to have to produce a written research report of 5-10k words even in maths. And might have similar essay requirements for other modules.

And when you get into a work role producing written reports isn't likely to be something you can avoid altogether especially if you go into a maths related field.
university of glasgow. can you tell me where you would find this information too?

https://www.gla.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/course/?code=MATHS4061P (it's from 2021/22 but it's unlikely to be much different)

and https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/mathematics/?card=course&code=MATHS4079is a core 3rd year module you'll have to take
(edited 1 year ago)
It might be worth just facing up to your aversion to academic writing rather than changing your education trying to hide from it.
I see what you mean, they just say "written exam" and the few modules look like normal econ modules, so where the exam might be a mixture of solving problems and writing short essays explaining the topics. When you will have access to your academic account you could check past papers. But as already mentioned by other people you will have to write a dissertation so learning how to write an essay is important
im gonna be studying a maths degree but i have to choose 2 extra subjects at my uni. was thinking economics, statistics or astronomy. how much essay writing do these subjects include, and can you suggest subjects with little to no essay writing?

Hi!

Most courses require you to write essays as part of your assessments within modules. Even within Maths and Statistics, essay writing will come up at some point. At the end of the final year, most students will have to write a dissertation. Dissertations can vary in their length but most are 8,000-15,000 words long. Without having practiced in formal academic writing, this might be a bit difficult.

As well as this, academic writing is seen as a good skill to have by employers. For example when writing up reports and compiling data and statistics. A large part of a dissertation is being able to conduct your own research and compile the evidence.

Good luck with your studies :smile:

Trinity
2nd Year Politics and Sociology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending